Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fly Sparging Vs. Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 PM   #21
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

When recirculating, you only need to recirculate about 1/2 - 1 gallon (until there is no solid material in the runnings).
When adding the sparge water, give it a good stir, but you don't need to rest for 15 minutes. A couple of minutes should be fine.

-a.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
desertbronze
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HomeBrew
1) You mash for one hour, then recurculate the first runnings and drain completely.

2) You place all or half of your sparge water in the tun, stir, let rest for 15 minutes, recurculate and drain?

Is the equation for the sparge water temp and volume the same as when you do fly?

Any anput is greatly appreciated!
Have some ice cubes and boiling water handy to adjust the mash temperature.

No need to rest on the sparge. Pour the water in - stir the mash - start recirculating.

Take notes!!! Particularly on water temperatures - you will learn how to adjust temperatures and after a few batches, you will be able to hit the desired mash temperature without adjustment.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #23
perry
Recipes 

I wondered if others were grappling with the same issue (I mean, the issue of hoisting ten gallons of sparge water)... I 'm still doing that. I fill a cooler full of 180 degree water (it's 170 by the time it hits the grainbed) and press that sucker to the top of my serving fridge. I will be able to do this for another ten years or so, and then... well, by then I'll have a four-tiered series of platforms of some kind and a ladder! And a bad back. Cheers -p

Old 08-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #24
New2HomeBrew
Recipes 

Alright, So I did a bit more reading on the batch sparging technique (Thanks EdWort for posting that info in your recipe). I see that you add an additional water volume before recirculating. However it says nothing about water temperature. Should this initial addition of hot water be at the mashing temp or should I use the temperature calculations from John Palmers book for the fly sparging technique? I believe I read somewhere that the sparge water temp should not go over 170 to prevent extracting tannins.

What do you Batch spargers do for the initial addition of water after mashing?

I am assuming that I will loose roughly the same ammount of water from my one hour boil for a 10 gallon batch as I will for a 5 gallon batch. I have had to bring my initial boil volume up to 7 gallons for a 5 gallon batch loosing close to two gallons during the one hour boil. Do you think that this is a correct assumption?

I also tried plugging in my recipe details to the spreadsheet listed on that batch sparge webpage. The first run gravity was over 1.4 and the second was listed as .4. Am I doing somehting wrong? It states on that webpage that the gravity should never drop below 1.019?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Benjamin Franklin

Primary #1- Panty Dropping Cherry Apple Cider
Primary #2- empty
Primary #3- empty

Secondary #1- My First All Grain (American Amber)
Secondary #2- Honey Do Wheat

Up Next: ? my second AG

On Tap- Sadly Nothing

Old 08-08-2007, 02:23 AM   #25
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
I see that you add an additional water volume before recirculating. However it says nothing about water temperature. Should this initial addition of hot water be at the mashing temp or should I use the temperature calculations from John Palmers book for the fly sparging technique? I believe I read somewhere that the sparge water temp should not go over 170 to prevent extracting tannins.
Did you see this thread from a few days ago?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=35416
It discusses the number of batches used when batch sparging.

Once the mash is complete, any water additions should designed to raise the temperature to sparge temperature (165 - 170 degrees).
I usually fly sparge, and when fly sparging, I heat my sparge water to 185 degrees. I also mash out to raise the mash temperature up to about 168.
When I add my 185 degree sparge water to my unheated HLT, the temperature drops nearly 10 degrees. By the time it has meandered through the tubing to the sparge arm, it has cooled to about 170. I don't keep the water below 170, but do keep the sparge below 170.
Also, the 170 isn't a switch. You will extract tannins when sparging. It is unavoidable. Hotter water extracts more tannins, but providing the temperature is kept below 170, and the pH of the sparge is kept below a value that I don't know, you will not get excessive tannin extraction. The normal way to control this is to keep the sparge temperature at or below 170 and the gravity of the runnings at or above ~1.010

Quote:
I am assuming that I will loose roughly the same ammount of water from my one hour boil for a 10 gallon batch as I will for a 5 gallon batch. I have had to bring my initial boil volume up to 7 gallons for a 5 gallon batch loosing close to two gallons during the one hour boil. Do you think that this is a correct assumption?
Don't have a clue. I've never brewed 10g batches

Quote:
I also tried plugging in my recipe details to the spreadsheet listed on that batch sparge webpage. The first run gravity was over 1.4 and the second was listed as .4. Am I doing somehting wrong? It states on that webpage that the gravity should never drop below 1.019?
I think you have done something wrong (or the spreadsheet is wrong).
I don't care how much sugar you dissolve in your sparge, you cannot get a gravity of either 1.4 or 0.4

-a.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:14 AM   #26
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 604 Times on 374 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I'll chime in late as a fly-sparging advocate - it's how I learned AG, and it feels old school. I like to set the grain bed once and let it ride. I haven't had any problem getting efficiencies over 80%, and I typically sparge too fast. I bet my efficiency would be even greater if I actually did the recommended 2+ hour fly sparge for 15 gallons.

I'm probably a bad influence here, as I've never batch sparged (never even watched it). However, I set my system up to fly sparge, and it works quite nicely.

Carry on the batch sparging discussion now...

Old 08-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #27
New2HomeBrew
Recipes 

Any more sage advice from you Batch spargers out there?

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Benjamin Franklin

Primary #1- Panty Dropping Cherry Apple Cider
Primary #2- empty
Primary #3- empty

Secondary #1- My First All Grain (American Amber)
Secondary #2- Honey Do Wheat

Up Next: ? my second AG

On Tap- Sadly Nothing

Old 08-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #28
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I batch-sparged once and the beer came out incredible. It was my first AG batch and it went off without a hitch. It was an American Blueberry Wheat. No issues whatsoever. We are enjoying it quite nicely. If memory serves me I reached an efficiency of 79%. Not bad for first-timer and really easy to manage and handle.

My brother-in-law refuses to accept Batch Sparging. He is an old school brewer from back in the day and says that BS is rediculous and a waste of good sugars. He is caught up on the stirring up the bed part, as most FSers are.

Too each their own. Either way, you are brewing an awesome beer no matter how you sparge.

What is a Pirates favorite part of brewing?

SPARRRRRRRging.

- WW

Old 08-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #29
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry
I wondered if others were grappling with the same issue (I mean, the issue of hoisting ten gallons of sparge water)... I 'm still doing that. I fill a cooler full of 180 degree water (it's 170 by the time it hits the grainbed) and press that sucker to the top of my serving fridge. I will be able to do this for another ten years or so, and then... well, by then I'll have a four-tiered series of platforms of some kind and a ladder! And a bad back. Cheers -p
Buy a pump.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply