New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fly Sparging Vs. Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2007, 02:48 AM   #11
pirate504
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done both now and personally I prefer fly sparging since I'm never much in a hurry when I'm brewing.

The one thing I didn't like doing with batch sparging was stiring up all the grains and having to think about my lauder turn get plugged with grain sediment ( I have a loop of braided SS I use as a filter medium) ...not to mention having to recirculate again.

heres a write up I found about the subject:

http://www.bayareamashers.org/content/maindocs/BatchSparging.htm

Last edited by pirate504; 08-07-2007 at 03:01 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2007, 02:57 AM   #12
pirate504
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
As I understand it, fly fishing is a battle of wits between the fisherman and the fish. I don't think it would be fair to encourage the fish to fight an unarmed man. eh?

-a.

Isn't the fisherman armed with a fishing pole???

Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 AM   #13
Sixbillionethans
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just a thought on the batch vs. fly sparge debate...

Who cares what your efficiency is?!?
Let's say you want an OG of 1.055:
60% efficiency: you need ~13 lb of base malt
70% efficiency: you need ~11 lb of base malt
80% efficiency: you need ~9.75 lb of base malt

That's a whopping delta of like 5 bucks between 60 and 80% efficiency.

Commercial brewers need to watch their efficiency because they need to make a profit, which is also why they use things like corn, rice, and US 2-row malt.

But we homebrewers are free from such concerns.

Hey, go after your high efficiency. Waste is a bad thing. But don't sweat it.

Fly sparge? Awesome.
Batch sparge? Great!

Have some fun, make some beer, then tip a couple of those babies down and watch the sunset.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #14
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Let's say you want an OG of 1.055:
60% efficiency: you need ~13 lb of base malt
70% efficiency: you need ~11 lb of base malt
80% efficiency: you need ~9.75 lb of base malt

That's a whopping delta of like 5 bucks between 60 and 80% efficiency.

This was a bit confusing but I got it. What you are saying is that if I am at 60% efficiency and want to hit a target of 55 points then what I need is 13lbs of grain. If my system is 80% efficient then, for 55 points, I would only need ~10lbs.

When you put it that way, even for MPBs, why saccrifice taste for a few grand a year? $hi~! at $8-$9 a six, they can make it up quickly and would probably gain more respect IMHO!

- WW

Old 08-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've been batch sparging with a 10 gallon water cooler & a SS braid since I went All Grain and am very happy with the beers I've been turning out. I don't have my brew hut built yet or my brew sculpture, so I only use gravity from MLT to the kettle, to the fermenter. I don't see a need to change as it ain't broke and I enjoy the speed of batch sparging and 82% efficiency. Some day I might get setup for fly sparging.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

basically......

batch sparge, add 1/2 lb more grain to make up with the 5% less efficiency, but save over an hour of your time. Ive fly sparged once, and when only doing 5 gallon batches, batch sparging is by far much easier.

Now moving up to 10 gallon+ batches, its going to be much more difficult to batch sparge. It can be done, yes but I still dont like the idea of lifting more than 5 gallons of 180* water up to the tun

Old 08-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #17
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
Now moving up to 10 gallon+ batches, its going to be much more difficult to batch sparge. It can be done, yes but I still dont like the idea of lifting more than 5 gallons of 180* water up to the tun
I use a two quart pitcher (while wearing a glove) to quickly add water to my MLT till the kettle is down to a liftable amount and then I pour in the rest. Works well for me and so far I only use the table.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #18
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone
Yeah, that little detail thwarted my plans to do 10 gal batches. That, and I realized I need a stand to handle 10 gals. My current setup works well, but I need something that can hold the extra weight if I upscale.

Like you say, though, for 5 gallon batches it is no problem. In fact, I think this is an under-appreciated benefit of batch sparging. You really don't need a three-tier, gravity feed system or a pump setup, which translates into a slightly more convenient setup and/or less gear.

I just put my MLT on the ground and add my sparge water directly from the tap on my kettle and then lift the MLT up onto a shelf to mash and drain back into the kettle. No need for a lifting to the top of a multi-tier stand/ use of a pump that is preferred by fly spargers. It also means that I can be really portable with my system and brew indoors or outdoors or both, depending on the weather. Or I could easily through everything in my car and brew at a buddy's house or something. I guess you could do the same with a fly-sparge system, but it wouldn't be quite as simple or convenient.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #19
New2HomeBrew
Recipes 

Thanks for all the input! I thnk that I will try batch sparging for the first go around. Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of?

My understanding of the method is pretty limited. Here is my basic understanding.

1) You mash for one hour, then recurculate the first runnings and drain completely.
2) You place all or half of your sparge water in the tun, stir, let rest for 15 minutes, recurculate and drain?

Is the equation for the sparge water temp and volume the same as when you do fly?

Any anput is greatly appreciated!

“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” Benjamin Franklin

Primary #1- Panty Dropping Cherry Apple Cider
Primary #2- empty
Primary #3- empty

Secondary #1- My First All Grain (American Amber)
Secondary #2- Honey Do Wheat

Up Next: ? my second AG

On Tap- Sadly Nothing

Old 08-07-2007, 10:13 PM   #20
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2HomeBrew
...Here is my basic understanding.

1) You mash for one hour, then recurculate the first runnings and drain completely.
2) You place all or half of your sparge water in the tun, stir, let rest for 15 minutes, recurculate and drain?

Is the equation for the sparge water temp and volume the same as when you do fly?
The topic of whether to add all your sparge water or half will be dictated by the size of your mash tun and your desired boil volume (shoot for 6.5 gallons). I’d say for your first go around, just sparge with as much water as it takes to get your desired volume.

Sparge water can and should be hotter than your mash water because the conversion has already taken place at the 155 degree area. The hotter water (170-180) will do a better job of rinsing the grains.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply