New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fly Sparging - 40gal System




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
brentt03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 358
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fly Sparging - 40gal System

I know there are tons of fly sparging threads, but I still had a couple of questions for my application.

Right now I have the Synergy Brew 40gal setup. It is 2-Tier and has a March Pump.

My question is three fold:

1) I understand that you drain the sparge water from the HLT into the Mash very slowly and drain at the same rate. My boil kettle and Mash Tun are at the same level so this drainage would have to be pumped to the BK; is this too much to have the march pump running for an 30min/1 hour solid?? Is there a better method with using the pump?? Maybe let the Mash fill up 25% and then pump?

2) The lid of the Mash Tun has an addition to the underside that the hose from the HLT rest on; it sort of allows the water to run off in multiple directions as opposed to just hitting the middle. Would it benefit me to make some sort of fly sparging arm?

3) How long should I sparge for? I know I need to sparge until i get my desired boil volume, so I guess I should say it this way, at what rate should sparge (.75gal per minute) @ 22gal would be 30minutes sparge time


Thanks for all the help!
Brent



__________________
brentt03 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
canyonbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: south carolina
Posts: 177
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

i run my march pumps for hours. both for herms recirculation and sparging.

i just use a simple silicone hose that lays on top of the grain bed. I keep 1-2 inches of water over the entire grain bed.

i get 90%+ with this method. No fancy sparge arm needed in my opinion.

I sparge for about an hour on a 10 gallon setup. until I get my pre-boil volume...always watching to ensure my runnings don't drop below 1.010.

I should probably watch the mash ph as well, but I don't have a meter yet.



__________________
canyonbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
brentt03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 358
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonbrewer View Post
i run my march pumps for hours. both for herms recirculation and sparging.

i just use a simple silicone hose that lays on top of the grain bed. I keep 1-2 inches of water over the entire grain bed.

i get 90%+ with this method. No fancy sparge arm needed in my opinion.

I sparge for about an hour on a 10 gallon setup. until I get my pre-boil volume...always watching to ensure my runnings don't drop below 1.010.

I should probably watch the mash ph as well, but I don't have a meter yet.

So it sounds like I can keep some water in the bottom and run the march pump until i hit my desired pre-boil volume.

This may be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway, do you just drop a hydrometer in the BK to make sure you are above 1.010?
__________________
brentt03 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
brentt03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 358
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Let me add one more question:

This is me thinking out loud. But if I am fly sparging, and draining the MLT at the same rate I am flowing in and I do not have a sparge arm or anything to spread the width of the grain bed, am I really rinsing all of the grains??

__________________
brentt03 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
brentt03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 358
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Nighttime Bump!

__________________
brentt03 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 21,742
Liked 859 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentt03 View Post
Let me add one more question:

This is me thinking out loud. But if I am fly sparging, and draining the MLT at the same rate I am flowing in and I do not have a sparge arm or anything to spread the width of the grain bed, am I really rinsing all of the grains??
Yes, because you're building up a foundation of water about 2" over the grain which remains for most of the sparge process. It's not like rinsing pasta in a colander.
__________________
BrewHardware.com
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Piscataway, NJ
Posts: 21,742
Liked 859 Times on 576 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentt03 View Post
So it sounds like I can keep some water in the bottom and run the march pump until i hit my desired pre-boil volume.

This may be a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway, do you just drop a hydrometer in the BK to make sure you are above 1.010?
No, most people who fly sparge use a refractometer to spot check gravity every gallon or so towards the end.


__________________
BrewHardware.com
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fly Sparging and a 2 Pump System dutch101st All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 1 09-09-2010 05:50 AM
fly sparging houndhome1 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 03-29-2008 08:22 PM
Lid on When Sparging scottfro All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 11-09-2007 04:41 PM
Fly Sparging Vs. Batch Sparging New2HomeBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 08-08-2007 05:25 PM
sparging skaboyd All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 08-01-2006 09:58 PM