Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fly Sparge VS Batch Sparge: Facts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 PM   #21
goose1873
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

both work very well if done correctly.

I think there is a misconception that fly sparging is more work. I have done both and actually feel batch sparging is more physical work. Fly sparging is more of a set it and forget it once you know were to set the ball valves and monitor for a few minutes. batch sparging is faster but involves more busy work with 2 washes and vorlaufs. My batch sparging set-up was less expensive (rectangle cooled and ss braid) vs. 10G Igloo with false bottom) but the hour that it takes for me to fly sparge allows me to do other things (prepare fermentors, yeast, hops, etc...)

I personally fly sparge all of the time now for 2 reasons:
1. A deep grain bed seems to give me a clearer wort
2. My efficiency is a few points better (mid/high-80s vs high 70's) could just be differences in set-up)

my point for the new guys is fly sparging is not very difficult if they choose to go that route...

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #22
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
my point for the new guys is fly sparging is not very difficult if they choose to go that route...
I found that I like to fly sparge, it doesn't disturb my grain bed. I just take the top off my cooler and dribble in my hot water, I wiggle the hose around some to try to keep it even. My method is not complex and doesn't require building a manifold. I can't complain about the results either.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Old 04-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #23
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killervector View Post
Crush is key with batch sparging... Denny... what was your saying?

"Crush til yer scared."

That about right?
Yep! But I also feel crush is key to fly sparging, also. In either case, you have to know your system and what it can handle.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #24
Moody_Copperpot
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Sparge question

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reason: posted in error
jroth420 Likes This 
Old 10-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #25
goose1873
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellshooter View Post
I found that I like to fly sparge, it doesn't disturb my grain bed. I just take the top off my cooler and dribble in my hot water, I wiggle the hose around some to try to keep it even. My method is not complex and doesn't require building a manifold. I can't complain about the results either.
just toss a piece of foil and let the hose pour onto the foil... works well

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
----Frank Zappa

jroth420 Likes This 
Old 10-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #26
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think there's an unnecessarily strict line drawn between batch sparging and fly sparging. Just rinse the damn grains and do what you can. Keep it simple, and make it work for you.

I started with fly sparging, because I'd read it was best. Now I batch sparge (sort of, I guess), and I get better efficiency, the process is simpler and quicker, and overall it just works best for me. I'm happy with 80%, and I'm happy with the time it takes me to sparge my way.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #27
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

I'm somewhat new to this and been using a rectangular cooler with a copper manifold and getting bad efficiency, so i just started using a little extra grain. so after some reading i think part of my problem was channeling, so i have modified my manifold by shortening it to get away from the cooler walls and got it flatter against the bottom.

this week i designed a copper fly sparge manifold with 4 equal tubes that fits perfectly on the little raise lip just inside the cooler. I drilled many tiny holes in all 4 tubes. I tested for gravity feed with a raised bucket and spigot, which worked ok, but i think to get better water distribution from the pin holes i am going to have to use a small aquarium pump. anxious to try this on my next batch.

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Old 10-24-2010, 04:25 PM   #28
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have tried both and more than once. I found I did not like to batch sparge my efficiencies were terrible and all over the place. I fly sparge now and yes it does take more time but it is very predictable for me.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 10-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #29
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-boy View Post
I have tried both and more than once. I found I did not like to batch sparge my efficiencies were terrible and all over the place. I fly sparge now and yes it does take more time but it is very predictable for me.
Funny it works the opposite for me. Batch is a little better. I think maybe some people get in too big a hurry to drain first runnings. I eat lunch and take a nap during the mash. It's a long brew day, and hurrying it up doesn't help.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 AM   #30
wbown
Recipes 

I went from fly to batch and now I am back to fly. It does seem like less work for me, no stirring. If you are not in a hurry (30 minutes more) it seems fine to me. Either one works, I just prefer fly.

Quick Reply