Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fly sparge: Importance of maintaining temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
Brewing Clamper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Fly sparge: Importance of maintaining temp?

I was reading an old issue of BYO this morning and I came across an article about Papa Charlie's brew system. He was fly sparging using a simple plastic bucket as the HLT. The picture shows the bucket elevated and sparging a mash. It seems to me like over the time interval of the sparge, the bucket water would lose quite a bit of heat, so my question is, how would this affect the efficiency? I always thought that the sparge water temp had to be kept at/near 170°F.

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
jdoiv

Recipes 

I fly sparge and the temp of my water in my HLT will drop during the sparge. Hasn't hurt my efficiency any. Last batch I brewed I hit 91%. I do a mash out though to stop the conversion.

Fermenting:
Planning:

Old 03-28-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1075 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm lightly convinced that sparge temp affects batch sparge efficiency a bit more than fly. I would think it would take a slight hit though if you dropped below like 160F.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm curious about this too....I mash-out then fly sparge with boiling water (to try to maintain the 165°-168° temp) and my mash is always around 145° by the end. I lose more heat because my current setup requires the MLT cooler lid to be open while sparging.

.....I still get around 80% eff though.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #5
perry
Recipes 

FWIW, I sparge with 180 deg H20. Because of my system it hits the mash (usually 10 gallon batches) at 172. The temp going into the boiler is about 165. It all depends on the mash-out, which is key to high efficiency. I've skipped the mash-out a couple of times, and my efficiency drops at least 10 %.

-p

Old 03-29-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I used to mash at about 154, then sparge slowly with water that I had heated to 170. I got about 75% efficiency.
Then, on the advice of Greg Noonan, I did a mash out to raise the grain temperature to 168, and increase the temperature of the sparge water to maintain that temperature throughout the sparge (which takes me 60 - 90 minutes). My efficiency consistently increased to 85% with no bad effects. I now keep the grain temperature between 165 and 170 throughout the sparge. I suspect that it's more important to get the right temperature at the start when there is a lot of sugar in the grains, and the higher temperature dissolves the sugar more easily, and also reduces the viscosity of the wort.

-a.

Quick Reply