Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > floating hopsacks

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
MrShake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeldundas View Post
It might not be a huge problem if the wort bubbles and moves them around. Your utilization might suffer slightly.

Strictly by using a hopsack you're going to get different (generally lower) utilization than if you didn't. It might not be a serious effect though, and you can still make great beer with it.

Cheers
I don't agree at all that your going to get different utilization than not using one.

I'm using 5 gallon paint strainer bags and those hops roll up and down freely throughout the entire boil. I can't imagine how I'm loosing anything with this method.

MrShake - Top Hat Brewery

Project Links: Electric HERMS | Wet Bar

Primary - Air
On Commercial Tap - Sam Adam's Octoberfest
On Tap 2 - Air
On Tap 3 - Air
On Tap 4 - Easy English Mild
On Tap 5 - Air

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 AM   #12
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Mr Shake, I think what was meant by that comment was that when you enclose your hops in a tiny sack (not a paint strainer) you are packing everything together so they don't have the same surface area effected by the beer. So, when using sacks like the kind you have to tie up, you definately lower utilization.

I myself don't worry about it. Too many people I see homebrewing are extremely paranoid about sediment. I toss all my hops right into the boil without a bag. Along with everything else I may be putting in the brew. When I transfer to primary, I dump the entire pot through a SS Strainer into the bucket. I suppose if you're using carboys for a primary it would be a little more difficult. By the time you chill your wort, most of that stuff should be in the bottom of your kettle anyways, so it's not difficult to dump.

Anyways, I find that this aerates my wort extremely well along with removing any sludge. By the time my beer hits my cup, it's crystal clear (I keg).

Another HERMS rig...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply