Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Floating Hop barrier repelling new hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
cheezydemon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Floating Hop barrier repelling new hops

I am brewing route 66 IPA off of BYO's recipe base. 5 gallons. It calls for just shy of 6 ounces of cascade hops as well as another ounce of chinook(this is slightly simplified, but the amounts are correct. All pellets)

The wort was almost thick with hops, slightly sludge-like. There is now a 1/2 inch of hops residue floating on top.

A - this is the most hops I have ever used, does it sound right?

B - the last 2 ounces are for dry hopping. If I just drop the pellets in, they will not have a prayer of getting through all of the hops already floating on top. WTF! Is this how it is supposed to look?

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

A. If that's what the recipe called for. I've used 11 ounces in a 5 gallon batch.
B. Rack it to a clearing tank using some cheesecloth to filter the old hops.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Bugeaterbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have brewed beers with as much as 18 ounces of hops in a 5 gallon batch with no problems. Yes it will be a bit thick.

The dry hops are added after fermentation, so the other hops should be long gone before you get to that point. That first 7 ounces of hops will be (or should be) left in the boil pot long before fermentation even starts.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
cheezydemon
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Do you filter it going into the primary?

BOTTLED: "Route 66 IPA" 7% ABV, "Dave's Imperial Stout" 12% ABV , "Spider Imperial Stout" 9%ABV , "Mutt Irish Ale" 7% ABV, "Sorta Sierra" IPA's 4.4% ABV, "Habanero Ales" 5.5% ABV, "Pumpkin Seed Ale" 5.5% ABV , "Marzen" Lager, "Step child Ale",
PRIMARies: "Caramel Amber" , "Black Porter"
SECONDARIES:1 :"Miller Ale"
On DECK: Another Russian Stout

Quick Reply