Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Flavor/Aroma hop help - This is what I have on hand

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
meatwad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Flavor/Aroma hop help - This is what I have on hand

Hey there, so I'm brewing up a fairly standard ESB recipe, but I wanted to punch up the flavor and aroma. I'm sticking to a mellow hop schedule with EKG and Willamette:

1 oz Fuggle @ Boil, set Timer for 60 min
1 oz Willamette @ 30
1 TSP Irish Moss @ 15
½ oz Fuggle @ 10
½ oz Willamette @ 10
½ oz Fuggle @ Flameout
½ oz Willamette @ Flameout

I made this last time and I'd really like a bigger nose, and a bit more hop flavor. It was a really clean tasting beer, and probably my best made. The malt character was perfect, but again, I'd like to punch up the hop nose, and a little flavor. Bittering is fine at about 30 IBU.

In addition to the above, here's what I have:
1 oz Amarillo
1 oz Centennial
1 oz Columbus

Any thoughts on a breakdown for some addition at 10 min, and flameout...maybe a dry hop?

Thanks much !
Meatwad

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
pernox
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I think any of those three will drown out what you've got going with the Willamette and Fuggles. I would examine bittering with one of the three hops you have listed at the end (to an appropriate IBU level - you'll need less weight than the Fuggles you have listed @60) and use a full 1.5oz of Fuggles at 10m. That will give you some flavor and aroma but not in an overpowering American/Citrus way that you'd get from any of those three used late in the boil. Or you could dry hop with it.

"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson, in letter to William S. Smith, 1787

Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
meatwad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, so if I add, say the Columbus (1/2 oz) at 60, and bring the fuggle up to 1.5oz at 10 min. 1/2 oz Columbus at 13.9 AA, brings the bitterness up to about 45 per Beer Tools Pro. Should be okay huh

Old 01-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 134

Bump your 10 min additions up to 20 min to pull out more flavor components. I agree, those other hops will muddle the Fuggle/Willamette combo you've got going.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
KevinW
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just double your late addition hops and you should be fine, your schedule looks good otherwise.

Save the three other hops for a different brew!!

Good luck

“I don't drink beer all the time but I can drink (a) beer anytime" - Me

Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bitter with columbus but keep your ibu at 30

1 oz willamette @ 20min

1 oz fuggle @ 10 min

1 oz willamette and 1 oz fuggle @ flameout

That would be my plan with what you've got. I agree that if you try and use amarillo or centennial for flavor or aroma you're going to muddle anything you get from the fuggle/willamette hops.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
meatwad
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, that's pretty close to the last hop schedule I had though isnt it?
I loved the maltiness, and the bitterness...but I was hoping the beer would have a bigger nose this time around... like a hoppy ESB, which I guess is probably just a standard american pale, huh

Old 01-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #8
yjfun
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All you can do is brew it the way you want and then play with it next time if your not happy with it. I love esb's and have been tweaking mine since I first started brewing. If you want more nose you could always try a hop tea or dryhop in secondary. Last time I made mine I used 2 oz of EKG at 15 and 1 oz at flameout. It had a good balance of hop nose and malt.

Quick Reply