Flaked wheat instead of malted wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geobotsar

Reaction score
Hi everyone, cant source wheat malt where i live so i bought some flaked wheat from an organic shop. I would like to do a heffeweizen(40 percent flaked wheat, 60 percent pils)would it be ok with the flaked wheat? Also, any thoughts on the danstar munich dry yeast for the weizen? Thanks

I am by no means an expert but I believe that you would have to cook the wheat or do a cereal mash with it before adding it to the main mash as it is un-malted and will need some help to brake down the starch first. I just brewed a lager using rice and torrified wheat, I boiled them for 30 mins before adding them to the main mash. I believe that doing a thick mash with the wheat will avoid tannin extraction that you might get with high temperatures in a thinner mash. I hope some more experienced brewers can give their input.

As long as you use a base malt with enough diastatic power you can use malted or unmalted wheat. It doesn't need to be cooked first as the gelatainization temperature for wheat is below mash temp. You may have trouble with draining the mash tun as wheat gets pretty sticky. Adding rice hulls will help with that or you might consider doing this kind of beer as a BIAB.

Tannin extraction is mostly a function of the mash pH. If your mash pH is below 6.0 you shouldn't have to worry about the temperature.

Thanks for your replies guys, i was wondering if there was a drawback, flavour wise in using the flaked wheat instead of malted whead. Also the beer would have more haze?

In addition to the comments above, flaked wheat does not taste like malted wheat. Malted wheat has more depth of flavor. If you truly want a hefeweizen, you should get some malted wheat.

Flaked is pre-gelenatized, but yes, it's a different animal flavorwise. Try the flaked and see how it turns out for you. You might like it just fine, even if it's not the same.

Back