Last days to enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Flaked Barley Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2007, 03:40 AM   #11
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 287 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavierFrag
This is probably too late EdWort but in a recent brew, I ran flaked barley through the mill and most of it came out floured. It gummed up the mash a good bit and really slowed the sparge process. LHBS guy told me I shouldn't crush it afterwards. Thanks for the timely advice, bro! Oh wait, that brings us full circle Ed. Good luck with it.

PS - sampled the brew just two days ago and it has fantastic .... (you know what) retention.
Congrats on the head retention. I mixed up the 8 ounces with the rest of the grain and ran through the Barley Crusher. No problem there and no problem for the SS brain manifold in my MLT Cooler. I'm looking forward to the results soon. If it improves my beer, then I'll start adding it elsewhere (since I have 54.5 more pounds of the stuff)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #12
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I've read that adding 1/2-1 lb flaked barley to ALL of your beers will add head retention, anda little mouthfeel. I've been doing it with great sucess. No need to cresh it though.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:30 AM   #13
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Scottmc - Flaked barley versus flaked wheat in a recipe. They are similar in some respects in terms of protein and starch content. The wheat will have some beta-glucan but less that the flaked barley. The flaked barley has the husk material unlike wheat. This can add some grainy character to the beer which in some cases is a part of the taste. The flaked wheat may make the beer a little smoother ans less harsh. However these differences are not dramatic and it should work out fine.

The glucans in the flaked barley will add to mouth feel and foam stability some. Kind of sounds like CaraPils doesn't it??

Dr Malt

Old 08-24-2007, 12:25 PM   #14
scottmc
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Malt
Scottmc - Flaked barley versus flaked wheat in a recipe. They are similar in some respects in terms of protein and starch content. The wheat will have some beta-glucan but less that the flaked barley. The flaked barley has the husk material unlike wheat. This can add some grainy character to the beer which in some cases is a part of the taste. The flaked wheat may make the beer a little smoother ans less harsh. However these differences are not dramatic and it should work out fine.

The glucans in the flaked barley will add to mouth feel and foam stability some. Kind of sounds like CaraPils doesn't it??

Dr Malt
Thanks, Dr. Malt

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM   #15
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have used FB in two of my brews. I have noticed a huge difference in head retention and mouthfeel. Both of these brews were two of my best. One a Sweet Breakfast Porter and the other an American Pale Ale (of which I am drinking now). As soon as I get the photo off my phone and into my computer I will send a pic of the beautiful brew.

Enjoy! FB Rocks!

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 08-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #16
Buford

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Flaked barley is good stuff - although be advised that it will promote chill haze in lighter beers.

FERMENTING: ---
KEGGED/IN STORAGE: ---
KEGGED/ON TAP: ---

DIY STUFF: Sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion

Old 08-24-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
DeadYetiBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like how you guys are talking about 1/2 -1 lb... I added 1lb of flaked barley and 1lb of flaked oats to my Irish Red, hoping it'll be nice and creamy, with a nice lasting head, and an ass that doesn't stop... er um sorry got carried away there...

Old 08-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #18
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I use over 1KG of flaked barley in my dry stout. It gives excellent mouth feel and I think it adds that great 'grainy' flavour. And it makes for excellent head on the beer without the need for beer gas (which is good since I have no kegerator).

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply