The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Flaked Barley Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Flaked Barley Question

I'm tossing in some flaked barley in my experimental Blonde recipe today. I've never used it before. Do you send it through the mill with the rest of the grain or do you mash it as is?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 251 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Cool. Thanks. I'm using it to hopefully add some creaminess mouthfeel to my blonde recipe. Through the mill it goes.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The first time I made a brew that used FB since getting my Barley Crusher, I tried sending some thru. Most of it just slipped between the rollers unharmed. I thus deduced that it's not supposed to go through a mill. So I don't mill it. Seems pointless...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #5
Dr Malt
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

You can put the flaked barley and other flaked grains through your mill if you want, but it is not necessary. The flakes will wet sufficiently in the mash exposing the glatinized starch to enzymatic attack. Flake barley and oats have high levels of beta glucans, a carbohydrate that thickens the wort and beer some. It should add to the mouthfeel you are seeking.

Dr Malt

Old 08-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
The first time I made a brew that used FB since getting my Barley Crusher, I tried sending some thru. Most of it just slipped between the rollers unharmed. I thus deduced that it's not supposed to go through a mill. So I don't mill it. Seems pointless...
I have a corona-style mill so it definitely has an effect on the flakes for me. But I doubt it makes any difference all the same. I tend to throw them through because I put all my measured uncrushed grains into a single bucket and then pour it all at once into the mill hopper, less thinking that way (which is a must for the likes of me ).

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 08-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #7
Nostrildamus
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I put it through the mill at my LHBS and ground it the same as all my other grains with their modified coffee grinder. It works great. In fact, I tasted my newest ESB last night and the noticeable mouth feel told me that the half pound I used was right on the money.

I wonder whether or not you would get as much mileage without grinding it?

Heb no oana Hoibe hoch, du Hund!

Drinking: Fight Night Pale Ale
Fermenting: 100 pints o' Stout

Old 08-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
HeavierFrag
Recipes 

This is probably too late EdWort but in a recent brew, I ran flaked barley through the mill and most of it came out floured. It gummed up the mash a good bit and really slowed the sparge process. LHBS guy told me I shouldn't crush it afterwards. Thanks for the timely advice, bro! Oh wait, that brings us full circle Ed. Good luck with it.

PS - sampled the brew just two days ago and it has fantastic .... (you know what) retention.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
scottmc
Recipes 

a little off topic but flaked barley related. I'm gonna be brewing an IPA tomorrow and the recipe calls for 8oz of flaked wheat but they had none, so the LHBS guy recommended me to use 8oz of flaked barley instead. What do you guys think will become of this IPA, as far as color, taste, etc.

Thanks, Scott.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 AM   #10
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm getting ready to do a dry stout and was wondering the same thing. According to Classic Beer Style Series on Stouts they grind the flaked barley to improve yield. I'm planning on using my food processor. I could see this leading to a stuck sparge but I batch sparge now so I'm hoping it won't be a problem...

Quick Reply