Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Fixing my Vanilla Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
twgardner2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fixing my Vanilla Stout

So I brewed a Vanilla Stout about 9 days ago and my OG came out a little low at 1.038, with a current SG of 1.008, a little thin. I know what happened, but that isn't really my question. I want to know if anyone can think of a reason not to do the following to try to bump up my FG:

I want to boil some maltodextrin powder, cool to room temp, and add this in with my soaked vanilla beans in the secondary. Ideally, I would use some lactose, but I don't have any. I figure the maltodextrin will add some body, but shouldn't make the beer sweet, and even if it contains any fermentables, they should be taken care of in the secondary. It isn't as if I'm bottling the maltodextrin and could conceivably get bottle bombs.

Any reason not to try this?

Bottled: E.J. Phair's Rye Beer, Plinian Eruption IPA (Pliny clone), Pizza Port Shark Bite Red Ale, Plinian Eruption II IPA, Raspberry Cider, Spiced Cider, Vanilla Stout, Blackberry Cider, Peach Cider, Fuggles IPA
Past Brews: Ferocious IPA, Belgian Witbier, Pyramid ESB, American Cream Ale, Cascade Pale Ale, Graham's Cider, Cherry Cider, Man's Best Friend Wheat
Next Brews: Don't know

2011 Gallons: 39
2012 Gallons: 34

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply