Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Five thermometers, five different temperatures, a range of 16 degrees!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
SkyHighBrew88
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah $95 is nuts. Thermoworks (who also makes the Thermapen) makes the RT600C, I got one on Amazon, for $20!

image-2549874214.jpg

Takes my mash temps in 5 sec or less, just sayin'...

By the way I calibrated this thing in ice water & it dropped and stopped dead on at 32.0F.

==========================================
PRIMARY --Star-San
SECONDARY-- Empty
CURRENTLY IN BOTTLES -- Black & Blue Amber Ale
FUTURE BREWS -- DFH 90 Minute, Flying Dog Raging Bitch CYBI clone, Rye Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #12
usfmikeb
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you want to do things right, you need to have the right tools. You've already purchased 5 different thermometers, time to buy the right one.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
psymonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHighBrew88 View Post
Yeah $95 is nuts. Thermoworks (who also makes the Thermapen) makes the RT600C, I got one on Amazon, for $20!

Attachment 48989

Takes my mash temps in 5 sec or less, just sayin'...

By the way I calibrated this thing in ice water & it dropped and stopped dead on at 32.0F.
Thanks for the info, I just picked one of these up! After reading a few reviews it seemed a no brainier. The company really seems to stand behind this product.

In the meantime, I'll figure out which thermos are calibrated close and which are off. The one I'm the most concerned about I've had for less than a month - hopefully they'll take that one back. I'm still shocked. Maybe it's common sense, but I had no idea thermometers had such calibration issues...

Old 02-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I guess I got lucky , the cheap $5 one from the lhbs reads within 1 degree of my pid with rtd probe.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #15
SkyHighBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymonkey View Post
Thanks for the info, I just picked one of these up! After reading a few reviews it seemed a no brainier. The company really seems to stand behind this product.

In the meantime, I'll figure out which thermos are calibrated close and which are off. The one I'm the most concerned about I've had for less than a month - hopefully they'll take that one back. I'm still shocked. Maybe it's common sense, but I had no idea thermometers had such calibration issues...
Glad to help! I mean, it is from the same company that makes the Thermapen...

Spec's say the Themapen reads +/- 0.7F in 3 seconds and the RT600C +/- 1.8F in 6 seconds sooo assuming it's more than likely in between those to accuracy ranges you're gonna be reading accurate & fast. I will say in the past I had used a standard digital meat thermometer and it easily took at least 20 seconds. It's nice to be able to take a reading or several quickly and be done with it...

==========================================
PRIMARY --Star-San
SECONDARY-- Empty
CURRENTLY IN BOTTLES -- Black & Blue Amber Ale
FUTURE BREWS -- DFH 90 Minute, Flying Dog Raging Bitch CYBI clone, Rye Saison

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
BK_856er
Recipes 

When I was a chemistry PhD candidate I taught some of the chem labs. One of the first labs was to teach the concepts of accuracy/precision/measurement using a large collection of decent scientific lab grade mercury thermometers at various reference temps. The spread was pretty dang big! Always verify/calibrate/correct your measuring devices.

BK

Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 AM   #17
jgroesbeck
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfmikeb View Post
Buy a Thermapen, and throw all the rest away.

Best advice you'll hear regarding accurate temp readings. I use mine for both cooking and brewing. Pricey for sure, but well worth it.

Cheers,
JG

Old 02-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #18
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 27 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 458 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm a little disappointed in my thermapen. I did very limited testing with it, and haven't really concluded much, but it was a bit of a disappointment so far.

Firstly, I tested it in ice water and it never got to 32. I tested it along side two cheapo thermometers I got at kmart and target. The thermapen tested within. 5 degree of the cheapos. Maybe I did the ice test wrong, but at no time did it get any lower than 33.5.

I then tested it in boiling water. The thermapen never went above 109. I'm about 20 feet above sea level, so maybe that's why, but I doubt it. I didn't test the others at boiling because I had a homebrew club meeting to go to, but I plan to test it further at some point.

The thermapen was very jumpy, never setttled on a temperature, and took more than the advertised 3 seconds to come to a number that didn't fluctuate too much. It just wasn't what I was expecting for the price. Maybe I expected too much, but I feel like I wasted 80 bucks (open box, maybe that's the problem)

Mikeysab on untappd.

Quick Reply