Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Wort Hops: Do they replace the 60 min addition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Moody_Copperpot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default First Wort Hops: Do they replace the 60 min addition?

I'm interested in trying first wort hopping. My question is this: If I go with this method, will the FWH replace my 60 minute addition of hops?
I'm brewing an imperial IPA and right now my hop schedule is 60,20,15,19,5, flame out. If I were to do this method, would the ounce of summit hops I would add at 60 minutes just be done as FWH, and there would no longer be a 60 min addition?

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 282 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would be interested in the answer too. Everything I have read says you get more IBUs out of FWH, but it is more subdued, so you should calculate the IBUs as though it were a 20 minute addition.

To your question. Based on what I have read, it does not replace the 60 minute addition.

I did my first FWH last week in an APA. I ran the numbers as though it was a 20 minute addition. I took a gravity sample after 6 days (went from 1.057 to 1.010), and as usual I drank the sample. The sample surprised me in that it had a lot more hop flavor than I expected. I did not note any increase in bitterness, tasted really good.

I don't know if the increased flavor was due to FWH or other changes I made. I used leaf rather than pellets for the first time in a long time and let them swim free rather than in a bag.

Looking forward to getting this one in the bottle ....... Will be a while; Got 2 brews ahead of it and no spare bottles.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #3
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Nope. IBUs are based on the time the hops are *boiled* So, naturally, if you toss them in when you drain your mash the hops go in the kettle and are boiled as long as the, um, boil.

The 20 minute addition equivalent IMHO is rubbish! There is a certain change in the flavor since the hops sit in sub boiling temps for a while before boiling but in my experience it is not equivalent to a 20 minute addition. It is just different. Try it!

FWIW and YMMV and WYF,

Steve da sleeve

Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I've made a few beers that way. A blond worked out very well. It's not really a replacement. I use only late additions sometimes too.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:39 AM   #5
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6263 Times on 5436 Posts
Likes Given: 808

There's been a lot posted on here about FWH, but I recall most of it being 1) opinion, or 2) reguritation of something people read (may or may not be true)

Regardless, I personally don't think it would be appropriate for an IIPA, as you really want some of that nice bitterness you get from a 60 minute addition.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #6
Kugster

Recipes 

I really like the FWH method...has worked out well for me. I still add my 60min hops cause like stevedasleeve said...it's "boiled" they are calculating the IBU's. I mean you still get some IBU's added but they are not as high. I think it really gives a nice smoothness about the beer. Again...this is my opinion.

Drinking..........Beer
Primary 1
Primary 2
Secondary 1....Blackeye IIPA
Secondary 2........Mikita's BB Wheat
Conditioning.....
Tap 1.............Spooky's Stout
Tap 2.............Rico's Red

DogBone Brewery

If you get confused listen to the music play! - Robert Hunter

Old 02-07-2011, 07:01 AM   #7
stevedasleeve
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
There's been a lot posted on here about FWH, but I recall most of it being 1) opinion, or 2) reguritation of something people read (may or may not be true)

Regardless, I personally don't think it would be appropriate for an IIPA, as you really want some of that nice bitterness you get from a 60 minute addition.
Sorry to jump on you man but of course it is 1)opinion... what else?!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #8
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't believe this nonsense about the IBUs being like a 20min addition... maaaaaaaybe I'll accept that the flavor contribution is like a 20min.

I'll just have to try it myself, but to be honest I really like to get through the hot break before adding my hops so it's not likely I'll ever go this route. I hate going through the boil and eyeballing those bits of hop stuck to the kettle wall and NOT IN THE BEER.

Hey maybe that's why they say FWH is like a 20min addition - because you waste a ton of hops on the kettle wall! Zing!

But seriously, I just don't think enough people are doing side by side comparisons with this method. I want to hear more stories about people running off one mash into two pots and simultaneously boiling. I just think that two separate brew sessions have too much chance for error, no matter how good your process is. Even BMC have to blend batches to achieve solidarity.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM   #9
Malticulous
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I perceive the flavor more subtle and the bitterness stronger than a 20 minute addition and I don't think it's like a 30. It's something that needs experimenting with to get it right for your system and recipe. I use it for it's smoother bitterness and light background flavor.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I do FWH'n and I do my 60 as the FWH. I do it on all my PA and IPA's and like it. but it could be just in my head.

Quick Reply