Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #1
ToledoBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default First Wheat

I'm attempting my first wheat this weekend (time to start making spring beers!) and was wondering if anyone had any advice or wanted to critique my recipe. Should I use rice hulls or do anything else different than normal? I crush my own grains, so do I need to crush the wheat finer or coarser than barley? I've done about 20 all grain batches so far and have used some rye but never any wheat. Thanks!

4lbs Pale 2-Row
2lbs Pale Wheat
2lbs White Wheat
.75lb Munich Malt
.75lb Torrified Yeast

1oz. Mt. Hood 60 min
.5oz Liberty 10 min
.5oz Liberty 0 min

Wyeast 3944 Beglian Wit

Reason: Forgot Something

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Jmarsh544
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looks like a good recipe. I crush my wheat without changing the settings on my mill, but the again I have a fine crush to start with. I would recommend running the wheat separate from the barley so you can adjust if necessary. If you have rice hulls available I would throw a handful in just to be safe.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
jmh286
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Looks like a good recipe, but the if you are going for a true Witbeer (which I assumed by the chosen yeast) the IBUs are going to be a little high. Nothing super crazy but technically out of range for the style. Of course I am guessing on the AA on both, but it's just something to think about. Either way, I'm sure it will be a good beer.

On the rice hulls, they are cheap insurance to help prevent a stuck sparge. I always throw them in when I make a wheat beer.

Mmmmmmm...Beer

ToledoBeer Likes This 
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts

Wheat is smaller than barley. Whether you need the mill down really depends on how fine you are milling to start with.

And, rice hulls are cheap. No need to be stingy with them. Toss in a lb and have yourself a relaxing brew day.

Presumably, you are talking about malted wheat for that pale and white addition, right? If not, you should look up cereal mashing. Raw wheat requires an extra step.

If you are going for a wit (just from the yeast selection), some crushed corriander and orange peel would be traditional additions. The citrus really balances out wit yeasts nicely.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Ondori
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Looks delicious to me. I would definitely throw in some rice hulls. It doesn't hurt to have some reassurance. A stuck sparge is definitely no fun. I had my first one last week >_<

Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
ToledoBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh286 View Post
Looks like a good recipe, but the if you are going for a true Witbeer (which I assumed by the chosen yeast) the IBUs are going to be a little high. Nothing super crazy but technically out of range for the style. Of course I am guessing on the AA on both, but it's just something to think about. Either way, I'm sure it will be a good beer.

On the rice hulls, they are cheap insurance to help prevent a stuck sparge. I always throw them in when I make a wheat beer.
Yeah I'm going for a Wit, but if I'm a little out of the style range it's not going to kill me. The Mt Hood is 6.1 Alpha and the Liberty is 3.9. Going by Beersmith, it said I should be coming in right at 19 IBUs which is borderline high for the style guideline. But really, as long as it's a good refreshing Spring beer, I'll be pleased.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
ToledoBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Wheat is smaller than barley. Whether you need the mill down really depends on how fine you are milling to start with.

And, rice hulls are cheap. No need to be stingy with them. Toss in a lb and have yourself a relaxing brew day.

Presumably, you are talking about malted wheat for that pale and white addition, right? If not, you should look up cereal mashing. Raw wheat requires an extra step.

If you are going for a wit (just from the yeast selection), some crushed corriander and orange peel would be traditional additions. The citrus really balances out wit yeasts nicely.
Yeah I got the Rahr White Wheat Malt and Weyermann Pale Wheat from Northern Brewer.

Quick Reply