So tried doing my first partial mash with my recently acquired 2 gallon cooler. While I did the iodine test and saw that I had conversion by not seeing any black marks. However, during the process I thought I had trouble with the actual temp of the mash. I felt the bottom was a lot warmer then in the middle.
Other then that, the wort was made with dry and liquid extract and beersmith thought my recipe should result in an OG of 1.052. As long as I had my temp right at hydrometer reading and read it right, I thought it looked a little above 1.040.
I should also add beersmith calculated this to be an effiency of 44.5%. I also made sure to preheat my cooler with water, had my LHBS mill the grains, and follwoed the strike temps beersmith gave me. I added the grains into the water in the cooler and tried stirring as much as possible.
Please ask any questions to help figure this out! I loved the process but just want to do it better next time.