Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Time Doing All-Grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
urbrainwashd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default First Time Doing All-Grain

Hello, So Ive been doing ALOT of brewers best kits and did some Mr beer kits...Now I'm wanting to move to All-Grain, i went on northern brewer and found a cream ale all grain recipe. I was reading the ingredients and directions and I know I'll get made fun of but I'm so confused. How much water do i use, how do i know what to put in what? What is a single infusion? What is a sacch' rest and a mashout? It also says boil addition & times, When do i do that? lol. I know, i know its ignorant of me to write this but I really want to learn. And if anyone knows a good all grain with STEP BY STEP instructions shoot it my way...
Anyway, this is what it says. Please someone help, I love american cream ales..

Mash Ingredients:
7lbs Rahr 2-row pale
0.75lbs Gambrinus Honey Malt
0.25lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion
Sacch' Rest: 150 degrees F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170 degrees F for 10 minutes

BOILD ADDITIONS & TIMES:
1oz Cluster (60 min)

Also why is everything so cheap? http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/c...grain-kit.html

Usually when I buy the brewers best theyre like 45 dollars. Anyway, if someone can lead me in the right direction and help me out that would be much appreciated. Thank you VERY much

Chris

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Have you read "How to Brew" by John Palmer. I think he does the best jpb of describing how to do the brew. He has the first edition online so you can read it for free but his second edition is worth the price as it contains updated information.

www.howtobrew.com

The reason the all grain kits are so much cheaper is that it cost money to make the malt extract and package it. It's so much easier to ship bags of grain than tubs of liquid malt extract or bags of dry malt extract. If you get started in all grain and learn how to make your beer that way, you'll find that it is less expensive yet to buy base grain in bulk.

If you haven't already purchased all the equipment for a conventional mash tun you might want to look at the BIAB forum on here because it takes so little to get started. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/

There's a sticky on there about how one person set up his equipment for all grain BIAB. My setup is much simpler and cheaper but the sticky will tell you about the process.

How large of a pot do you use for your beers so far? That will determine how you start.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply