Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First time all grain

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
cy24clones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First time all grain

Did my very first home brew ever and jumped right into to whole grain. I did a St Bernadus Abbey Ale clone recipe. A little background:

I used a cooler mash tun, 10 gallon brew pot, bayou classic gas burner, wort chiller, and primary fermentation bucket.

I maintained a 150.4 mash for 90 minutes (recipe called for 149 but I thought for some reason it called for 150 hence the miscalculation) generated just under 7 gallons of pre-boil wort and hit 5 gallons after a the prescribed 90 minute boil. Pitched liquid yeast at 69 degrees after aerating with wort chiller at 140, 120' and 90 degrees. Recipe called for an OG of 1.079-1.080; I hit an OG of 1.081. I plan on moving to a secondary fermentor ( glass carboy) at around the 7 day mark; pending fermentation activity.

I have a couple of specific questions:

The recipe calls for a secondary yeast pitch three days before bottling. How do you pitch yeast in a carboy? Very confused about that step of the process.

Should I have three days of a stable reading from my hydrometer before moving to the carboy or should I just check for reduced activity before transferring?

I plan on bottling in 750 ml bottles with cork.

I love the info on the site and much of it helped me get the confidence to brew my own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much yeast did you start with and are you saying the wort was 69 when you pitched or the yeast? The secondary sounds very long based on your wording. Don't transfer at 7 days. let it ride a couple weeks at least to be safe. Forget the instructions on that.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #3
cy24clones
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew
How much yeast did you start with and are you saying the wort was 69 when you pitched or the yeast? The secondary sounds very long based on your wording. Don't transfer at 7 days. let it ride a couple weeks at least to be safe. Forget the instructions on that.
I used an abbey ale liquid pack for a 5 gallon batch. Not certain how much yeast was in it as I don't have the bottle anymore. Thanks for the advice on the transfer, I will let it ride longer. Not in a rush' just want a decent turn out. Any advice on the secondary yeast pitch 3 days before bottling?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #4
cy24clones
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy24clones

I used an abbey ale liquid pack for a 5 gallon batch. Not certain how much yeast was in it as I don't have the bottle anymore. Thanks for the advice on the transfer, I will let it ride longer. Not in a rush' just want a decent turn out. Any advice on the secondary yeast pitch 3 days before bottling?
Wort and yeast were both at 69 degrees.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I'm not all that sure you would need to add more yeast. If you were going to Use it for bottle carbing I would just add it in the bottling bucket then add my priming sugar at 1oz sugar/gallon of beer being bottled to the bottling bucket then rack the beer on top to mix them.
And yes I wouldn't rack till you had steady hydrometer readings for a few days. I usually check around 10-14days then rack

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
cy24clones
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews
I'm not all that sure you would need to add more yeast. If you were going to Use it for bottle carbing I would just add it in the bottling bucket then add my priming sugar at 1oz sugar/gallon of beer being bottled to the bottling bucket then rack the beer on top to mix them.
And yes I wouldn't rack till you had steady hydrometer readings for a few days. I usually check around 10-14days then rack
Interesting development: my airlock is filling up with wort and a little blew out the top. Fermenting at a steady 69 degrees for about 28 hours. I am assuming this isn't an issue, but not sure. Lots and lots of activity. I do not have a blow off, just an airlock.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 AM   #7
badbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy24clones View Post
Sorry to be a drag on your first brew but you waaaaaaaaaaaayy under pitched an OG of 1.081. If you did it today and can pitch again by tomorrow do so. I bet you would need a lot more than one of those yeast packs to do the job (maybe 3 or more). I know some people would say let it ride but I really stress fixing if you can. A packet or 2 of of something dry would fix it up to make a good beer out of a bad situation. Just my 2 cents. Your beer will still ferment eventually but it won't be anywhere as good. Good luck.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #8
cy24clones
Recipes 

Quote:

Sorry to be a drag on your first brew but you waaaaaaaaaaaayy under pitched an OG of 1.081. If you did it today and can pitch again by tomorrow do so. I bet you would need a lot more than one of those yeast packs to do the job (maybe 3 or more). I know some people would say let it ride but I really stress fixing if you can. A packet or 2 of of something dry would fix it up to make a good beer out of a bad situation. Just my 2 cents. Your beer will still ferment eventually but it won't be anywhere as good. Good luck.
I am blowing wort through the airlock 28 hours in at 69 degrees. I am assuming this means a very active fermentation. New to this...why do you say I under pitched at my OG?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
badbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cy24clones View Post
I am blowing wort through the airlock 28 hours in at 69 degrees. I am assuming this means a very active fermentation. New to this...why do you say I under pitched at my OG?
Go here and use this tool when planning your next batch. The liquid tubes are good for a small beer ~1.045 but yours is a lot bigger and will stress out. There is a date on the liquid yeast to guestimate the strength left in it. You can pitch on top of your wort though. Also if you don't have a gallon of air space that thing will explode on you at proper pitch. With proper pitch I bet it would be pouring out now (assuming no fermcap was added).

http://yeastcalc.com/

Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 AM   #10
cy24clones
Recipes 

Quote:

Go here and use this tool when planning your next batch. The liquid tubes are good for a small beer ~1.045 but yours is a lot bigger and will stress out. There is a date on the liquid yeast to guestimate the strength left in it. You can pitch on top of your wort though. Also if you don't have a gallon of air space that thing will explode on you at proper pitch. With proper pitch I bet it would be pouring out now (assuming no fermcap was added).

http://yeastcalc.com/
Great info. Thanks. I have 1.5 gallons of air space and am blowing through the airlock. I figure out a blow off valve for the next batch.

Quick Reply