Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Sour Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #1
Max_Chavez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Sour Mash

Here's the Plan:
Sour a full mash. Split half off as a pretty legit "Berliner-Weiss" and then bump up the other half with some LME and turn that into a Half-sour Saison.

7/13 1pm
4.5# White Wheat Malt
4.5# 2 Row
.5# Rice hulls

1.25qts/lb @ 152 deg(actual variance 148-153deg)
Allow to cool to below 120deg and pitch .5# additional 2row.(in reality, after I pitched and readjusted the probe therm, it read 126deg, so I pitched and additional .25# after it hit 108deg)
natural cooling took approx. 4hrs
After folding in additional malt, I pressed plastic wrapped aluminum foil to the surface and discharged some CO2 into the headspace before placing lid on the container.
Hold temp at 110deg for 60-72hrs. I'll be shooting for a pH of 3-3.5

Will continue posting as it goes...
1st Post and 4th brew overall!

File Type: jpg sour.JPG (97.4 KB, 132 views)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 436

Nice. I'm planning a parti-gyle brew for this coming Tuesday. After running off the wort for the first batch, I'm going to sour the mash for a nice low gravity Berlinerweisse.

I don't have a way to maintain the temp like your set-up, but I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:18 AM   #3
therealmccoy3
Recipes 

I just ordered a bucket heater from Amazon to try with. This is the one I ordered, nothing more to offer if it's any good, will be brewing next weekend.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Max_Chavez
Recipes 

Checked the pH after 48 hrs post innoculation. Dead on 4. I'll be sticking to my plan which should leave the total time at about 4hrs shy of 3 days, and hopefully right around 3.5pH
Tasted a sample from the middle which I'll say was much tastier than we all expected. (If I was going for slightly sour wheat or fruit beer, I think this would be a great place to stop) A pleasant sourness with a bit of sourdough bread-ness. No unpleasant aroma at all. The top is rising above the surface of the liquid a bit, but no negative looking signs. My plan is to steep a bit of the surface layer in warm water and see if it has an off-flavors, then decide whether to skim or not.
(note- after disturbing the mash, I re-blanketed with CO2, just for good measure)

big day tomorrow, I'll try to keep up with the log and pics!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:08 AM   #5
Max_Chavez
Recipes 

signpost- Please let us know how things go. I love the idea of making brew day multipurpose while you've got all the equipment out and whatnot, that's why I'm diversifying tomorrow! Also, being a newb, you get to try more/learn more and nearly eliminate the possibility of total failure!

I will say-having never done this before- that I think the temp control is a big plus. It seems like lots of people's experiences have been colored by unwanted visitors due to fluctuating temps. A few other thoughts I had were reptile heating pad under the fermentor and fish tank heater which could be set up just like I have the circulator in the outside water bath. Could be pretty cheap/easy to find solutions.

Best of luck

Old 07-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
signpost
Recipes 

It took longer than expected to get my mash cooled down to 120°F. But it's there now, and I got the extra grain mixed in. It is sitting outside for now and I'll put it in the garage over night. I'll probably check the temp before I go to bed tonight and again when I get up in the morning. That way I'll know how much temp change occurs just overnight. I kind of wish the cooler temps had held off for a couple more days. Oh well.

The first batch of my partigyle went really well, if anybody was curious. Its a Belgian blonde ale and the only problem was that I boiled off more than expected. I was able to fix that by adding about a half gallon of water to get to my target gravity.

Here's hoping things continue to go well with this batch.

Old 07-16-2014, 05:02 AM   #7
Max_Chavez
Recipes 

So here's the Berliner 1/2
pH after souring(68 hours was 3.8, note- it was at 4pH at 48hrs)
Pleasant, sourdough/weak lemon curd taste/aroma
I did skim off 1/3in of the surface grain that was discolored

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Rasp Berliner

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Berliner Weisse
Boil Time: 45 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.041
Efficiency: 83% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.013
ABV (standard): 4.53%
IBU (tinseth): 6.3
SRM (morey): 3.49

FERMENTABLES:
2.25 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (50%)
2.25 lb - American - White Wheat (50%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet, AA: 4, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 6.3

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F, Time: 45 min, Amount: 11.25 qt, SOUR MASH
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.25 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.25 lb - rice hulls, Type: Other, Use: Mash

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No (pitched 1 full Pkt to compensate for low pH)
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 59 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 60 F
Pitch Rate: 0.35 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Sour everything 3 days with 1.25qts/LB
Starting at 152deg for 45 min.
Add 1/4# raw grain when cooled under 120deg. Hold 2 3/4 days @110-115deg

Drain and adjust volume with 170deg batch sparges

File Type: jpg weiss.JPG (91.7 KB, 67 views)

Old 07-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
Max_Chavez
Recipes 

.... and the second half of the sour mash, beefed up with a little LME. Now we wait...

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Sour Saison

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.021
Efficiency: 80% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.75%
IBU (tinseth): 30.05
SRM (morey): 3.98

FERMENTABLES:
2.25 lb - American - White Wheat (29.4%)
2.25 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (29.4%)
3.15 lb - Liquid Malt Extract - Light - (late addition) (41.2%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Hallertau Hersbrucker, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 15.09
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 13.87
0.5 oz - Nelson Sauvin, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 12.5, Use: Boil for 1 min, IBU: 1.1

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 45 min, Amount: 1.25 qt

YEAST:
Wyeast - French Saison 3711
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 80%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 65 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 80 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

NOTES:
Starter 3.6oz dme in 1.5L h20
18hrs
Pitch yeast at 70, let Rise to about 80deg

whirlfloc

Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #9
signpost
Recipes 

Nice.

Mine was a partigyle with the first batch being a Belgian blonde/golden ale that used mostly Pilsner malt. After running off that batch and getting it on the burner, I added about 1.5 lbs. of wheat to the mash and held at about 150F for 45 minutes or so. At that point, I took the lid off the mash tun and stirred occassional, trying to cool it down to 120F. That didn't work very well. After finishing up the other batch, I ended up using ice additions to get the temp down.

When it was finally down to 120F, I added a half pound of uncrushed 2-row stirred well and popped the lid on. I didn't put plastic wrap over it. I didn't use CO2. Just put the lid on and that was it. Before dark, I moved it into the garage. Over night it dropped to about 101F, so I added some boiling water to bring the temp back up to about 112F or so. That was the only addition I needed to keep it between 90F and 120F.

I couldn't get to it again to check it or do anything until after lunch today. I added water to bring my mash to the full volume for the batch. Ran it off into the kettle and got it started boiling. I did a 15 minute boil and added just enough hops to get maybe 8 or 9 IBUS.

Here's the stat line as it went into the carboy:

OG 1.034
pH ~3 to 3.5

All I have are the crappy litmus paper strips, so it looked like it was probably just above 3, but I can't be much more precise than that. Based on info I found online, that seems to be in about the right range, though.

I couldn't bring myself to taste it. After being around that acidic aroma through that whole process, I just got it in the carboy and cleaned up as fast as I could. I pitched some Wyeast 1272 American Ale II and I am finished with it for now.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:40 AM   #10
signpost
Recipes 

I was getting nervous, because I had pitched the Wyeast 1272 straight from the fridge and there was no airlock activity even after 24 hours. Luckily, now it is going strong and has a nice krausen and everything.

This batch is low gravity, I only ended up with about 3.5 (maybe 3.75) gallons, and the jar of yeast was only about a month old, so I figured I didn't really need to do a starter. Of course, that led to some lag before the fermentation got going. I got nervous. Luckily, I didn't do anything silly and the fermentation is in full swing.

Quick Reply