Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First PM

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
magno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default First PM

I made my first PM beer last night, 3 gallons of IPA. Everything went pretty well, I think, except I didnt refilter the first runnings (vorlauf?). How important is that step? Also, I didnt do an iodine test to be sure that all the starch was converted. Was that a stupid thing to skip? The OG was 1.068, I was shooting for 1.070.

This was a test run, from here on out I will be going AG. The last two of my wedding day meads will be tying up the secondarys for the next month or so. So I have that time to make/ buy the equipment I need to make the switch.

Any advise greatly apreciated.

- magno

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Everything will settle out given time. I've only done iodine tests when I've have stuck ferments and once once was starch the problem. Modern grains will mash in 20-25 minutes, so giving them an hour makes it really unlikely that any starch is left.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-08-2006, 11:59 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Nor vorlaufing will result in a small amount of extra solids making it into the boil. No big deal.
If iodine tests are necessary, then I have been guilty of the same thing for over 30 years.
If you were aiming for a gravity of 1.070, and you hit 1.068, then I'd say you did a good job.

-a.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
magno

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yeah Im not too worried about 0.002 gravity points, but I wasnt sure if starch in the mix would raise the gravity and make it seem like I got better efficiency.

Thanks, cant wait for this one to be done!

- magno

Quick Reply