Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Partial Mash, Sound Right?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
darth5aint
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Partial Mash, Sound Right?

Ive read Palmers book but I dont recall a Partial mash section, any tips appreciated, here goes my thought process

Use 5 gal pot to mash about 5-6 lbs base malt and specialty malts using biab, using 2-2.5 gallons water, then after the 60 min at 150(using oven to hold temp, think 170 oven temp will hold wort in 150 range) raising the bag to a colander over pot and slowly add 1.5-2 gal of water through grain and colander. Bring this to vigorous boil for 60 min running through hop additions. Then add LME at knockout, chill, top to 5 gal, and aerate.

Ive steeped grains, I want to go to all grain but with a small apt kitchen and a lack of extra funds I cant afford any new equipment at the moment.

Thx Guys, All I want to do on my days off is brew or bottle. Just cracked bottle from 1st batch, loving it

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 707 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 221

Your method should work Turn the oven off before you put the pot in there. The oven will take quite a while to cool down and you don't want to raise the temperature of your mash.

BTW, if you didn't add the extra water and LME and adjusted the amount of the specialty grains you would no longer be doing partial mash but would be doing half size batch all grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply