Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First partial mash, questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2008, 03:23 AM   #1
Bigsnake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First partial mash, questions

Just got a Belgian Ale kit partial mash from Austin and was looking at the instructions. Plan on brewing this Saturday and have a couple questions.

Kit instructions are doing 2 1/2 gallons of water for the mash.
The a partial sparge w/ 1 qt of water per 1lb of grain coming to about 1 Gallon of water.

Now, my question is, I have an 8 gallon pot and like to boil the full 5 gallons with all extract. If I want to boil the entire wort with this kit, would I add more mash water or more sparge water to make the final amount 5 gallons? Or should I just top up the pot at the end of the sparge?

Kit has a 3.75 lbs grain mix with 10lbs of extract and 1 lb of candi sugar.

Also, by brew time I should have a cooler MLT w/ false bottom and can build a HLT in an afternoon. Is 3.75 lbs enough to use with a false bottom and do the mini-sparge in there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like to add the wort from my mini mash to already boiling water to make up the difference, and to act as a mash-out. Say you end up with 2 gallons wort, add it to 4 gallons boiling water if you boil off 1 gallon per hour, = 5 finished gallons.

[I'm back!]

Old 10-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #3
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just for general info

3.75lb of grain will suck up about .825 gallons of water (if that is any help)

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:12 PM   #4
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh- here is the linky to PM perfection:
BYO - Countertop Partial Mashing

[I'm back!]

Old 10-09-2008, 01:43 PM   #5
carl spakler
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsnake View Post

Kit instructions are doing 2 1/2 gallons of water for the mash.

Kit has a 3.75 lbs grain mix with 10lbs of extract and 1 lb of candi sugar.

I was under the impression you generally use ~1.25quarts/lb of grain for a mash. A 3.75 lb minimash should use just over a gallon of water, not the 2.5 as listed in the above comment. Is that a typo, or does this recipe for some reason user a very thin mash?

Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

AHS kits all have you use 2.5g water for a mini mash - then 1 qt water for each 2lbs of grain for "sparging".

It's a default recipe - just like it ALWAYS have you use 4.5oz of corn sugar for priming.

This is a mini mash remember, where you are basically steeping.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
AHS kits all have you use 2.5g water for a mini mash - then 1 qt water for each 2lbs of grain for "sparging".

It's a default recipe - just like it ALWAYS have you use 4.5oz of corn sugar for priming.

This is a mini mash remember, where you are basically steeping.
So should I keep it at 2.5 gallons of water like the kit instructs?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1073 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I wouldn't change the all grain "rules" just because it's called a mini mash. Stick to 1.25 or 1.5 quarts per pound. Then you can sparge with 1qt/lb.

3.75lbs of grain, 5 quarts of water is close enough. You'll get about 3 quarts of wort out, then sparge with a gallon

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Bigsnake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I wouldn't change the all grain "rules" just because it's called a mini mash. Stick to 1.25 or 1.5 quarts per pound. Then you can sparge with 1qt/lb.

3.75lbs of grain, 5 quarts of water is close enough. You'll get about 3 quarts of wort out, then sparge with a gallon
Think I'll do it this way then. So, after the sparge I'll be topping the pot up to the volume I want before the boil and before I add the extract and bittering hops.

What are the negatives for too large of a water volume during mashing? Too much sparging can pull tannins out, correct?

Old 10-11-2008, 04:23 AM   #10
Parva
Recipes 

I don't think too large a mash volume would cause problems provided it was at the correct temperature and it was subtracted from the sparge volume. And yes, you're aiming to get as much out of the grains as possible but there's only so far you can go before you ruin it.

In my own experience I am doing AG's and I know I'm using more grain than I need to as I'm ending up with final runnings from the mash tun at 1.018 currently but I'd rather be inefficient and maybe cost me slightly more than be too efficient and cost me an entire brew.

Quick Reply