New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first partial mash, possible issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
jlestos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first partial mash, possible issues

So I'm planning on doing my first partial mash tomorrow, a honey amber, and just discovered a possible issue. I don't currently have a mash lauter tun so was just planning on doing it in 2 pots. Of course I check today and realize the 2nd pot I was going to use is probably only 3 gallons at best. I do however have a cooler, that is at least 5 gallons and possibly even 8. Since I'm planning on doing this BIAB, can I just use the cooler as the mash tun after I've achieved the right temp? The only real issue I see is having to lift the whole cooler up to the stove to dump it back in. Is there anything else I should be concerned about like this not working?

Thanks in advance
J

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3863 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlestos View Post
So I'm planning on doing my first partial mash tomorrow, a honey amber, and just discovered a possible issue. I don't currently have a mash lauter tun so was just planning on doing it in 2 pots. Of course I check today and realize the 2nd pot I was going to use is probably only 3 gallons at best. I do however have a cooler, that is at least 5 gallons and possibly even 8. Since I'm planning on doing this BIAB, can I just use the cooler as the mash tun after I've achieved the right temp? The only real issue I see is having to lift the whole cooler up to the stove to dump it back in. Is there anything else I should be concerned about like this not working?

Thanks in advance
J
That should work. I'd suggest preheating the cooler first, then mashing right in the cooler. Preheat the cooler, then add the strike water at strike temp (probably about 11 degrees warmer than the desired mash temp), then drop the grainbag right in there. Make sure the grain is loose in the bag, using two (or more) bags if you have to. Stir well to make sure the grain is thoroughly wetted, and then cover and walk away. You'd be all set!

I don't know why you'd have to lift the whole cooler, though- don't you have a drain plug on your cooler?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
jlestos
Recipes 

Actually I don't. Might have to borrow one instead, just to make it less messy.

Thanks for the help
J

Quick Reply