Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First partial Mash with Full Boil HELP PLEASE

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
brewluver
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First partial Mash with Full Boil HELP PLEASE

I am hopefully going to do a Partial Mash reciepe this weekend with a full boil. This will be the first time i have done a full boil. I am using Midwest Partial Mash Dubbel 'Em Up w/White Labs Belgian Ale 550 recipe.

recipe include 6 lb. Belgian Pils malt, 3.3 lb. Light Malt Extract, 1/4 lb. Aromatic, 1/4 lb. Biscuit, 1 lb. Amber Candi Sugar, 2 oz. of hops, priming sugar, and yeast. The kit is being shipped to me now so i don't know exactly what kind of hops are being used.

1. From what i have been reading I won't need to use all the hops right, in a full boil due to hop utilization? How much hops should i use. I don't have BeerSmith yet, i tried the demo but am waiting till i can have someone walk me through it.

2. Do i need to worry much about the evaporation rate since it is an extract or can i just start with 6 gallons at the boil and top up to 5 gallons if needed.

3. One last question, Will I just mash and sparge like normal and then add that to the pot and fill with water up to my pre boil size? I'm using a 3 gallon cooler method with Batch sparge method.

If someone could please give me some insight to these questions it would be great, I just got a great deal on a turkey fryer and i can't wait to use it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewluver View Post
1. From what i have been reading I won't need to use all the hops right, in a full boil due to hop utilization? How much hops should i use. I don't have BeerSmith yet, i tried the demo but am waiting till i can have someone walk me through it.
Cut the 60 minute addition to 2/3rds and it will be close. Keep any later additions the same.

Quote:
2. Do i need to worry much about the evaporation rate since it is an extract or can i just start with 6 gallons at the boil and top up to 5 gallons if needed.
A gallon per hour is a normal boiloff rate assuming an average sized pot (7-10 gallons) and a good rolling boil. If you are a little low, just top off at the end of the boil before chilling. A stick with gallon markings is handy for this.

Quote:
3. One last question, Will I just mash and sparge like normal and then add that to the pot and fill with water up to my pre boil size? I'm using a 3 gallon cooler method with Batch sparge method.
Yep.

Hope you have a chiller. Or a nice big snowbank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 01-14-2009, 10:43 PM   #3
brewluver
Recipes 

Should have a wort chiller by tomorrow. How much of a difference would a 3rd of an ounce make. I don't have a way to measure the hops out yet, so i guess i will just guess. How much of a difference would it make to add the full ounce instead of 2/3 of the ounce of hops.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

It is going to be a third more bitter/tasty/smelly(in the best way possible) depending on how long you boil the hops. plain and simple

Quick Reply