Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Partial Mash Coming Up!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 05:12 PM   #11
shunoshi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Yooper, what should the mash volume be? 2.5 gallons seems way too high for 3 lbs. of grain (I'm thinking more like 1 gallon, then 1.5 gallons for sparge to make a 2.5 gallon boil?).

Otherwise the recipe sounds interesting (although I only have a 2 gallon MLT, so a 2.5 gallon mash wouldn't work ).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4254 Times on 3099 Posts
Likes Given: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunoshi
Yooper, what should the mash volume be? 2.5 gallons seems way too high for 3 lbs. of grain (I'm thinking more like 1 gallon, then 1.5 gallons for sparge to make a 2.5 gallon boil?).

Otherwise the recipe sounds interesting (although I only have a 2 gallon MLT, so a 2.5 gallon mash wouldn't work ).
I did it just as written- all grains in a grain bag and then mashed in 2.5 gallons of water. I did a little sparge only, just about 1 quart of so to rinse the grain.

Now, you're more correct. A good volume is 1.5 quarts per pound for mashing, and then sparge. But that was my first or second pm and it worked out fine for me with those directions. Since the recipe is using LME (or DME) to make up the difference in efficiency, I wasn't too concerned about that. It did give great flavor to the beer and I was happy with it.

I've done PMs in my bottling bucket lined with a big grain bag and done them in the kettle. If you have a large grain bag, you could use your kettle. Or go ahead and use that 2 gallon MLT and do it the way you've described- that should all fit!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply