The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Mini Mash, Got a Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default First Mini Mash, Got a Question

Today I will be brewing my first mini mash. Looking forward to it as it is a step towards my goal of an ALl Grain Brew. I have a question though as far as bringing the grains up to temo. Should I soak the grains with cold water and bring them up to temp slowly? Or should I bring my water up to 150, then add the grains? After this point, I am going to simply put my kettle into the overn at 150 for 90 minutes, then sparge.

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2006, 02:10 PM   #2
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I've heard techniques detailing both methods, but what most ag'ers do, and what should work for you, is to heat your water up to probably 155-160F and then add your grains which will lower the temp to 150F (you may need to make minor modifications to the temperature). It depends on how much water and grains you're using, but that should be ballpark. Also, I imagine 60 minutes in the oven would more than do it...

Old 03-04-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Bring your water up to 165-170F and add the grain. Since the grain is at room temperature, it will cool the mash down to the target of 152-154F. 60 minutes is plenty, most grains will convert in 20 minutes or so, but unless you want to do starch testing go with 60.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #4
RLinNH

Recipes 

The recipe I am using is out of "Beer Captured". Great book that I just discovered. Wish I would have found this book about 10 years ago. Anywho, in the Mini Mash instructions, it calls for a 90 minute mash at 150. Just talked to a buddy of mine who is an AG brewer, and he also said that 60 minutes is plenty. So, 60 it is. Thanks to the above 2 posts for all the help with this mini mash. The brewing starts at about 1400. BREW ON!!!

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 03-04-2006, 05:06 PM   #5
RLinNH

Recipes 

Oh yeah. The recipe I will be using is on Page 98, Lucknow IPA. The home brewery is from my home state, so I am anxious to see how it turns out.

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 03-04-2006, 05:48 PM   #6
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default mash at 1400!...Sir, yes Sir!...brew-rah!

the only thing i would add is that youre strike temp should be at least 10 degrees higher than the temp at which your going to mash, after mixing in the grain really well its gonna drop at least that much. its easier to drop the temp than it is to raise the temp, so i would heat the h20 to 165-168, and then add the grains.

and dont fret over getting the exact temp, as long as it stabilizes around 150F, give or take a few degrees, youll be allright. brewing is more 'art' than 'science'...

60 min. is fine, i usually do a 2-step mash, (30 min @ 130, 60 min. @ 150),
some breweries do as long as 2.5 hour mashes, but then again they have nothing better to do but brew...i just wouldnt go less than 60 min...

Old 03-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #7
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You may want to have an extra thermometer inside the oven to check the accuracy. My oven is out by about 20F. Enough to ruin a mash!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM   #8
RLinNH

Recipes 

Had a thermomter in the mash tun during the mash. my oven is 5-6 degrees off. So, I held the mash at around 150 for 90 minutes, then I lautered the mash with 1 gallon of water at 170ish(more around 168), then I did it again with another gallon of water around 168. What an experience!!! My kitchen smelled like my buddies garage does when he AG brews.

I can not wait until my AG system is up and running. Money wise, it may be about 3 more months. Until then, my Mini Mash is the way to go. I took my sweet wort from the mash, brought it to boil, then added my Malt extracts and hops and went from thier. Looking forward to this one as it is a Lucknow IPA.

So, all in all, after 7-8 homebrewed Stouts, a Bock is my next batch. Off to night nights land mah fellow homebrewers. Keep the brewing lamp lit whilst I rest.

On DeckAnother Mild
Secondary nope
On Tap MaiBock

Old 03-05-2006, 02:02 AM   #9
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Lendl
60 min. is fine, i usually do a 2-step mash, (30 min @ 130, 60 min. @ 150),
some breweries do as long as 2.5 hour mashes, but then again they have nothing better to do but brew...i just wouldnt go less than 60 min...
One thing to keep in mind, when mashing at a temperature where both amylases are active, that the maltose to dextrin ratio is determined by the temperature and the duration of the mash. The longer the mashing time, the dryer the beer will be. If you mash at 153F for 60 min you will have more body than mashing at the same temp for 90 min or longer.

Kai

Quick Reply