New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First mash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2006, 02:30 AM   #1
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Default First mash

Alrighty, finally got to de-flower lots of the gear that I've been accumulating this afternoon. Haven't been able to brew in about a month and a half, last batch was extract, I've been building mash tuns and wort chillers and the like for probably three months ago. Also trying out my electric turkey fryer, gotta be better than the stovetop, right? It's time to mash, dammit!

I also FINALLY got my Mocha Stout bottled... that damn stuff has the viscosity of Pennzoil.

So, doing a PE/PM version of Papa Charlie's Good Life Pale Ale. Grain bill/fermentables are:

5# Pale Ale Malt
1.6# Munich
0.5# Crystal 10L
2.5# Extra light DME

Hops are:

2.0oz Fuggles (60 minute); book calls for 1.7oz, what am I gonna do with 0.3oz left over?
1.0oz Kent Goldings (30 minutes)
1.0oz Kent Goldings (3 minutes)
0.5oz American Crystal (I think) for dry-hopping; have not purchased yet.

So what did I learn?

1. The electric fryer sucks balls. The settings go up to 400 degrees - uh, no. It could barely bring the wort to a boil (I was boiling about 4.5 gallons to start). Piece of SH*T. Will soon be relegated to a mash-water heater, once I pony up and start kickin' it, propane-style. I eneded up splitting the boil between the fryer and my old, 5 gallon stockpot - each had about 2 - 2.5 gallons, and the stove kicked its a*s Reynolds-style.

2. The Rubbermaid cooler with the stainless steel braid works BEAUTIFULLY. Held temp very well, the braid was easy to use, never in danger of a stuck mash. I have no idea how to check my efficiency, I ended up batch sparging twice to get my kettle volume.

3. My butt-ugly, dual-coil, parallel chiller worked WONDERFULLY, chilling 4 gallons of wort to ~90 degrees within thirteen minutes (I still had to top off with a gallon, so I didn't need to get all the way to pitching temp). I went from boil to pitch within twenty-five minutes. The chiller's not as efficient as I can make it, I can compress the coils down so it fits in the fryer better (well, for as long as I end up using it). Still, worked GREAT.

So, I'll upload a couple of pics, overall it was a great experience. Very, very cool - but now I've got to find me a damn beer keg to convert...

Various gear in my ugly-ass kitchen (it's to be gutted, hopefully in the spring)

My ugly-ass but damn effective immersion chiller.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2006, 02:36 AM   #2
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm sorta surprised that big deep fryer didn't work as well as you'd hoped. Generally, they have to be able to get oil to 350 for frying, so you'd think boiling water or wort would be a cinch.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Sometimes you have to improvise to get things done.

Your right...that chiller is ugly.

Gary

Old 09-25-2006, 03:01 AM   #4
Thirstyone
Recipes 

Old 09-25-2006, 03:15 AM   #5
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I am assuming you tried to use the stove top right? I always used one with no problem at all.....never even had gas.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 09-25-2006, 03:21 AM   #6
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Yeah, I've used the stove top, can't get more than about 2.5 gallons boiled. That's why I went with the fryer, but it can't do any more than that either. Had to improvise and use both.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 09-25-2006, 03:25 AM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirstyone
That's next on the list of items to be acquired. Hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on one without paying an arm and a leg.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Yeah, I've used the stove top, can't get more than about 2.5 gallons boiled. That's why I went with the fryer, but it can't do any more than that either. Had to improvise and use both.
You''ve seen this place right? Been having a lot of luck there.

http://www3.telus.net/sockmonkeysandbeer/beer/HowIBrew/howIbrew.html

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 09-25-2006, 03:29 AM   #9
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
ass kitchen

Isn't there a Doors song about ass-kitchens? Oh wait that's Soul Kitchen, never mind....

Congrats on the big graduation day! I love the dual 1/4" chiller, any reason to use more thread tape is a bonus in my books.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:31 AM   #10
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Recipes 

Yeah, I've been there. That's how you brew, right? I knew someone here does AG using two pots on the stove, which is what made me think to split the batch when the fryer couldn't get a boil going.

Quick Reply