Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Lager Attempt Recipe and Guide needed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
beershere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default First Lager Attempt Recipe and Guide needed

Hi there all,

It is getting close to lagering season in Wisconsin. I have been brewing since January and have yet to brew a lager. I have an all grain setup, and fermentation chamber with a minimum temperature of approx. 45 F. (This could likely be a bit cooler during the deep winter cold).

I am hoping to find a tasty Lager recipe that is a go to along with instructions on steps for fermentation temperatures and times to lager. I have read a few different methods, and want that tried and true method that works for you.

Thanks for all your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Francus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

No cold weather down here, so I have a converted freezer with a temp controller on it. The upside is I can cold crash and brew lagers all year round.

Basically, I will bring the wort down to 50F then pitch the yeast (or whatever temp is lowest for the yeast I am using). I sample about every 5 to 6 days until I'm under 1.020 then let the temp rise to 65F for a dicetyl rest. Once it hits 65, I wait 24 hours then start knocking the temp down by 3F about every 18 hours until I get to my desired lager temp, which is usually 45F. Then I wait for at least a month before kegging.

All that said, I know some people who will keg after the dicetyl rest and let it lager in the keg. Their beer tastes just fine.

Also, if I have plenty of beer on hand I will lager at 38F instead of 45F but for twice as long. Basically, the lower you go the longer you need to lager. If you don't do a dicetyl rest then you have to add time to lagering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply