Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first home malt brewing project

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default first home malt brewing project

next week I intend to malt barley at home. I have been reading alot about it and I know it is going to be hard, but anyway I want to do it.

I have some organic barley available which I'm buying today.

this is what I'm going to do - I will malt it, and then I will cut the recipe to half.

to this half I will add 30% more grains. so it will be half the yeast, half the hops, half the water, and half + 30% grains.

I will add some coriander seeds to my secondary.

I use safeale US-04 yeast, magnum hops for bitterness and super styrian for flavour.

if you have any advice, please feel free to post

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Maybe consider doing a decoction as your grains may not be fully modified.

Don't forget to rinse your grains and allow them to air rest during the initial soaking period. When germination is done and the grains are dry, place them in a pillowcase, knot it, place a zip tie above the knot and throw it in your dryer on low, or just tumble- it will help get rid of the rootlets.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply