Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first HG beer (oktoberfest)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #21
physast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
You can lager in the keg.
Ok you have my attention. How would I go about this? Right now I have CO2 hooked up to it and it's in my kegerator chilling at 38 F

Should I de-gas it and take it out to try and lager it at the appropriate temp?

I really do not have lagering capabilities so I might just drink it and have a lesson learned, if I can confirm tonight that the beer taste ok.

Thanks for all this info.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #22
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by physast View Post
Ok you have my attention. How would I go about this? Right now I have CO2 hooked up to it and it's in my kegerator chilling at 38 F

Should I de-gas it and take it out to try and lager it at the appropriate temp?

I really do not have lagering capabilities so I might just drink it and have a lesson learned, if I can confirm tonight that the beer taste ok.

Thanks for all this info.
Well that's pretty much lagering. The temp could be a little lower, but 38 isn't too bad. Just leave it there for a long time. As far as the CO2, I'm not a kegger, so I don't know what to do/not to do for lagering in a keg (I just know you can do it). Perhaps someone else can chime in. If not, I'll check when I get home tonight. The book, New Brewing Lager Beer, talks about lagering under pressure.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You know a few weeks ago I accidently bought an oktoberfest lager kit, I made a post asking what to do since I can't really lager. Instead I just pitched ale yeast. It is still in the primary fermenter so it will be a while before I can taste it to compare, but I will keep this post in mind when that day comes. Like you said though, its tasty, no reason not to drink it.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Old 09-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #24
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Since no one whose lagered under pressure piped in, I checked out New Brewing Lager Beer. The only thing it says is that the keg needs to be fitted with a pressure relief valve. Since I've never kegged, that's as far as I can take you.

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-09-2008, 02:17 AM   #25
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well the keg would need a pressure relief valve because without one the CO2 could build to threshold pressures and rupture the keg. It does not really speak to the question of weather the beer being carbonated is an issue. That being said however I think that when lagering the beer would become carbonated before its pressure releive valve was activated, therefore similar to starting the lager already carbonated. So in my opinion I don't think you can do any harm to the beer by lagering it while carbonated. Sorry that it took so long for me to say that, one too many homebrews tonight.

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Last edited by patrck17; 09-09-2008 at 02:20 AM.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #26
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

In the keg, under CO2 is not quite lagering, you have removed it from the yeast bed on the bottom that helps clean up the yeast etc. Simple answer is what is done is done, what your doing now is conditioning the beer with an easy sampling system attached.
Start brewing your next batch +, and try to keep this one around for a while so you can notice/realize that time improves it so nicely. Or if you have another beer ready to go swap it out. In cases like this I buy another keg to teach myself patience and as a reminder to learn more.
Best of luck.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #27
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauai_Kahuna View Post
In the keg, under CO2 is not quite lagering, you have removed it from the yeast bed on the bottom that helps clean up the yeast etc. Simple answer is what is done is done, what your doing now is conditioning the beer with an easy sampling system attached.
There may be a misunderstanding here. He only took it out of primary so he's OK there. His keg becomes his lagering vessel. When making lagers, it is necessary to get the beer out of the primary as soon as primary fermentation/diacetyl rest is complete. It's the primary trub (or, "yeast bed") that can result in off-flavors if left on too long. In secondary (i.e., lagering), the beer still has plenty of yeast in suspension that forms a second yeast cake.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply