Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first HG beer (oktoberfest)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
physast
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first HG beer (oktoberfest)

Hello everyone.

I just kegged my first high gravity 5.7% abv (at least for me) beer. It's an oktoberfest and I did a partial mash for this recipe. During fermentation I noticed the airlock (3 piece) was acting funny like no pressure was built up after the initial bubbles went away. I mean the piece inside the air lock went from touching the top to resting on the bottom. I just let things be and then after about 7 days transferred to a secondary.

After another 7 days I went to keg and noticed that I had some whitish circular spots on the top of the beer. Not sure if it was mold, but it didn't taste or smell to out of the ordinary.

After being in the keg for about 4 days I decided to have a taste. I was brewing a wheat beer at the time and I usually like to have some home brew in a glass while brewing some more!

The taste was kind of thick and slightly sweet. Not really sour and no bad smells. So I guess if it was mold then it didn't do anything to the beer.

My question is for higher gravity beer ~5.7% ABV is the thick slightly sweet taste normal?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2008, 12:57 PM   #2
jtvinny

Recipes 

What was the final gravity?

I noticed that my Octoberfest Lager was sweeter than I expected it but I'm pretty sure it was finished. The FG was pretty low and stable.

Definition of an Irishman: "a complex mechanism for turning Guinness into urine." - The Stout Book by Brendan O'Brien

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
physast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvinny View Post
What was the final gravity?

I noticed that my Octoberfest Lager was sweeter than I expected it but I'm pretty sure it was finished. The FG was pretty low and stable.
I believe the starting gravity was ~ 1.062 and the final gravity was ~ 1.020

I think in any normal situation I would not have asked this question, but because of the "possible" contamination with the mold and the weird airlock situation I am slightly concerned.

I was at 1.020 gravity for almost 6 days, so it was going no where.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #4
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

A piggy-back question: what was the intended FG compared to your FG?

Old 09-08-2008, 01:13 PM   #5
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by physast View Post
I believe the starting gravity was ~ 1.062 and the final gravity was ~ 1.020
My Oktoberfest also stopped at 1.020 and was also on the sweet side.

In my case we diagnosed it down to mini-mashing too hot and creating unfermentable sugars that the yeast refused to eat, creating the sweeter flavor.

It's been lagering for 2 months and I'm not going to tap it for another month, so I'm hoping that'll give the remaining yeast time to make it taste yummy.

-Joe

Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
physast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
A piggy-back question: what was the intended FG compared to your FG?
I am still in the newby stages of brewing and have never calculated an intended FG. I will look into this for future brews

Quote:
In my case we diagnosed it down to mini-mashing too hot and creating unfermentable sugars that the yeast refused to eat, creating the sweeter flavor.
I mashed at 153 F and maybe lost a degree or two by the end. I might have had my water too hot while sparging. I seem to recall 170 F but can't be sure till I check my notes.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by physast View Post
The taste was kind of thick and slightly sweet. Not really sour and no bad smells.
If this is a true lager (as opposed to a pseudo-Oktoberfest with an ale yeast), I'm wondering if what you're detecting is diacetyl. Was it sort of slippery feeling?

END TRANSMISSION

Old 09-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I am still in the newby stages of brewing and have never calculated an intended FG. I will look into this for future brews
Was this a recipe of your own making? If you used a published recipe, the FG is probably listed.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
physast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menschmaschine View Post
If this is a true lager (as opposed to a pseudo-Oktoberfest with an ale yeast), I'm wondering if what you're detecting is diacetyl. Was it sort of slippery feeling?
This is not a true lager. I used a slap pack yeast that came with the recipe. I am almost positive the directions seemed like an ale recipe. What is diacetyl?

Quote:
Was this a recipe of your own making? If you used a published recipe, the FG is probably listed.
This was a recipe purchased at Annapolis Home Brew in Annapolis, MD. They do not list the gravity for some reason, but they said the ABV should be around 7.0% for this beer where I got around 5.7%

Old 09-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
physast
Recipes 

I don't recall a slippery feeling, but maybe. Will have to try another pint tonight.

Quick Reply