Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   first HG beer (oktoberfest) (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-hg-beer-oktoberfest-79567/)

physast 09-08-2008 11:47 AM

first HG beer (oktoberfest)
 
Hello everyone.

I just kegged my first high gravity 5.7% abv (at least for me) beer. It's an oktoberfest and I did a partial mash for this recipe. During fermentation I noticed the airlock (3 piece) was acting funny like no pressure was built up after the initial bubbles went away. I mean the piece inside the air lock went from touching the top to resting on the bottom. I just let things be and then after about 7 days transferred to a secondary.

After another 7 days I went to keg and noticed that I had some whitish circular spots on the top of the beer. Not sure if it was mold, but it didn't taste or smell to out of the ordinary.

After being in the keg for about 4 days I decided to have a taste. I was brewing a wheat beer at the time and I usually like to have some home brew in a glass while brewing some more! :mug:

The taste was kind of thick and slightly sweet. Not really sour and no bad smells. So I guess if it was mold then it didn't do anything to the beer.

My question is for higher gravity beer ~5.7% ABV is the thick slightly sweet taste normal?

Thanks in advance!

jtvinny 09-08-2008 11:57 AM

What was the final gravity?

I noticed that my Octoberfest Lager was sweeter than I expected it but I'm pretty sure it was finished. The FG was pretty low and stable.

physast 09-08-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtvinny (Post 839203)
What was the final gravity?

I noticed that my Octoberfest Lager was sweeter than I expected it but I'm pretty sure it was finished. The FG was pretty low and stable.

I believe the starting gravity was ~ 1.062 and the final gravity was ~ 1.020

I think in any normal situation I would not have asked this question, but because of the "possible" contamination with the mold and the weird airlock situation I am slightly concerned.

I was at 1.020 gravity for almost 6 days, so it was going no where.

flyangler18 09-08-2008 12:07 PM

A piggy-back question: what was the intended FG compared to your FG?

nostalgia 09-08-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physast (Post 839209)
I believe the starting gravity was ~ 1.062 and the final gravity was ~ 1.020

My Oktoberfest also stopped at 1.020 and was also on the sweet side.

In my case we diagnosed it down to mini-mashing too hot and creating unfermentable sugars that the yeast refused to eat, creating the sweeter flavor.

It's been lagering for 2 months and I'm not going to tap it for another month, so I'm hoping that'll give the remaining yeast time to make it taste yummy.

-Joe

physast 09-08-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyangler18 (Post 839211)
A piggy-back question: what was the intended FG compared to your FG?

I am still in the newby stages of brewing and have never calculated an intended FG. I will look into this for future brews

Quote:

In my case we diagnosed it down to mini-mashing too hot and creating unfermentable sugars that the yeast refused to eat, creating the sweeter flavor.
I mashed at 153 F and maybe lost a degree or two by the end. I might have had my water too hot while sparging. I seem to recall 170 F but can't be sure till I check my notes.

menschmaschine 09-08-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physast (Post 839194)
The taste was kind of thick and slightly sweet. Not really sour and no bad smells.

If this is a true lager (as opposed to a pseudo-Oktoberfest with an ale yeast), I'm wondering if what you're detecting is diacetyl. Was it sort of slippery feeling?

flyangler18 09-08-2008 12:40 PM

Quote:

I am still in the newby stages of brewing and have never calculated an intended FG. I will look into this for future brews
Was this a recipe of your own making? If you used a published recipe, the FG is probably listed.

physast 09-08-2008 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by menschmaschine (Post 839245)
If this is a true lager (as opposed to a pseudo-Oktoberfest with an ale yeast), I'm wondering if what you're detecting is diacetyl. Was it sort of slippery feeling?

This is not a true lager. I used a slap pack yeast that came with the recipe. I am almost positive the directions seemed like an ale recipe. What is diacetyl?

Quote:

Was this a recipe of your own making? If you used a published recipe, the FG is probably listed.
This was a recipe purchased at Annapolis Home Brew in Annapolis, MD. They do not list the gravity for some reason, but they said the ABV should be around 7.0% for this beer where I got around 5.7%

physast 09-08-2008 01:01 PM

I don't recall a slippery feeling, but maybe. Will have to try another pint tonight.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.