Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Garage Brew - BierMuncher's Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default First Garage Brew - BierMuncher's Blonde

Well I made a few mistakes today, starting with misreading the recipe and only getting Cascade hops at the LHBS Then I didn't know that I could turn the propane regulator up even more (it's very hard to turn) so my strike water took me 40minutes for 3gallons.

The worse mistake was what happened prior to the boil. I opened the valve on the MLT which was on a shelf situated higher than the BK. Well I had the hose in the BK, submersed, so the backpressure wouldn't allow a siphon to start. Genius me, I put the MLT up on a stool (that's smaller surface area than the MLT) and if that wasn't enough, I put a 2x4 under the back of it to get some slope...

Needless to say, with about 2qt. of first wort in the MLT left to drain, all hell broke loose. MLT fell, tumbled, and spilled that much of the wort onto the table, floor, and me. Good thing it wasn't more wort, but still mad.

Just had a wicket boilover due to not having water around to knock down foam break. Not the best day but pretty sure I'm still making beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 413 Times on 317 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Your still making beer, but more important...your learning.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
tre9er
Recipes 

forumrunner_20120218_165931.jpg

forumrunner_20120218_165953.jpg

forumrunner_20120218_170004.jpg

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Turned out at a low OG of 1.035 or so. Ended up with just about exactly 5g. in the FV but considering the lost wort, I still need to tweak my boiloff rate. Second time I've had too much sparge water and this time I halved the absorption rate.

It'll be the house light beer, I figure. Something better than any BMC but not spectacularly complex. Wife hopefully will like it. IBU's should come out in the low 20's if not lower (boil over right after adding bittering hops).

All-in-all, just glad to have another beer in a FV. My leftover-grains PA is at FG I think, dry hopping now, so that means I can probably brew again this weekend

Quote:

Quick Reply