Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Dubbel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #1
theganda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Dubbel

I cooked up a recipe for a dubbel this weekend and am planning on brewing this week and pitching onto my cake from a belgian IPA but am confused when to add the candy sugar. I plan on making my own but don't know whether to add it during the boil or straight into the fermenter. I've heard that it can be added to the fermenter to help push ahead the yeast when the gravity stalls out around 1.020. Does it matter when I add it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
ceannt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just add it to the boil, as a late addition, with say 15-min. left. I Let the temp ramp up and rouse the yeast after a couple of weeks. I have one going now that I brewed on August second that is just about ready to bottle. The gravity was down to 1.014 when I racked to secondary on September 19th. (gravity sample tasted awesome...) the waiting is the hard part...

Old 09-23-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
bbrim
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I prefer to add directly to the primary. I just boil the sugar briefly in enough water to dilute it, then pour it in.This can be easier on the yeast because it is less work at the start of fermentation. With you pitching onto a yeast cake I don't think this will be an issue for you.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts

I add my candi syrup on the 3rd day of fermentation, I feel that this stresses the yeast less.

Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Quick Reply