Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First double brew day this Sat. Any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Kahler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I love double brew days!

I cant brew outside- apt life- so everything is done on the stove. I use two BK's, a mash tun (pot), and a 3 gallon pot to heat sparge water to help things go faster. I also use a grain bag for the first batch in my mash tun with a fasle bottom, this way i can lift out the spent grain after sparge and get more water heating up while the first batch is coming to boil- this also helps space things out for cooling as i only have one immersion chiller. By the time the first batch is half way or so through the boiling process, the mash for the second is almost done. It gets batch sparged and the BK hits the stove. All said and done, two batches start to clean-up takes me 5 hours.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I figure if I start early then drinking too much should not be a problem, I already have everything measured out except my water. I brew outside on turkey fryers, I have two fryers and two keggles one is a HLT the other is my BK. so I won't have a issue getting water up to temp etc. I also no-chill my wort so there is not much time taken up there.....

Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #13
dannedry
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a single tier, 3 keggle system with 2 march pumps. Here's a few tips on how I do it:
1) STAY ORGANIZED! A dry erase board is very helpful mounted in my garage where I brew
2) As mentioned previously, I don't crack the first home brew till my 2nd batch is mashing
3) I mash #2 while #1 is boiling...
4) Start early, it always takes more time than you think. It takes me about 4.5 hours start to finish (including cleanup) for a single batch, and about 8 hours for a double.
5) Did I mention to stay organized? Oh, and don't get into the brews too early ;-)

Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 426

We also did our first 2 batch day on Saturday! I hope yours went well. Here are the obstacles we ran into:

One propane burner... We started boiling our wort from batch 1 before we stopped and realized, "Wait! We need to heat up the water for our mash for batch 2 first so we can mash batch 2 while batch 1 is boiling!"

Caught that within 10 minutes of starting the boil, so that was good. Second... having a good container to hold 20 gallons of dechlorinated water. We ended up scrubbing and sanitizing our swamp cooler and pouring all 20 gallons in that and we pulled from that as we went.

Having too much going on and forgetting irish moss for both batches!

All in all, nothing critical!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #15
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My first double brew day was a success! However those of you that said start early and that it takes longer then you might think are correct! I had everything measured except the water the night before and I started at 9am. Finally at 3:30pm I was done and exhausted lol. No issues really other then a miscalculation on my strike water for a pumpkin beer (forgot to take the 10 lbs of cool pumpkin into account). Other then that I have 10 gallons in the fermentation chamber bubbling away! Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves69 View Post
My first double brew day was a success! However those of you that said start early and that it takes longer then you might think are correct! I had everything measured except the water the night before and I started at 9am. Finally at 3:30pm I was done and exhausted lol. No issues really other then a miscalculation on my strike water for a pumpkin beer (forgot to take the 10 lbs of cool pumpkin into account). Other then that I have 10 gallons in the fermentation chamber bubbling away! Thanks for all the suggestions!
10 lbs of pumpkin?!?!?!? HOLY COW! What batch size?

Old 10-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas

10 lbs of pumpkin?!?!?!? HOLY COW! What batch size?
It was a 5 gal. batch, however to be fair what I really meant was the pumpkin as a whole was about 10lbs. I only used the meat but still fee I put 7-8 lbs. in the mash! Hey it's my first attempt and I read it takes a lot of pumpkin for a little pumpkin taste, besides SWMBO absolutely loves pumpkin beers (she actually picked out the recipe)!

Old 10-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #18
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves69 View Post
It was a 5 gal. batch, however to be fair what I really meant was the pumpkin as a whole was about 10lbs. I only used the meat but still fee I put 7-8 lbs. in the mash! Hey it's my first attempt and I read it takes a lot of pumpkin for a little pumpkin taste, besides SWMBO absolutely loves pumpkin beers (she actually picked out the recipe)!
Ahhh. Well, just a tip: The pumpkin adds almost no flavor. It is actually extremely tasteless and low in sugar. It will add a tiny bit of flavor, but the spices give you the burst of flavor that most detect in a pumpkin beer. The pumpkin does add some mouthfeel and beautiful color, so it's not a bad thing!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas

Ahhh. Well, just a tip: The pumpkin adds almost no flavor. It is actually extremely tasteless and low in sugar. It will add a tiny bit of flavor, but the spices give you the burst of flavor that most detect in a pumpkin beer. The pumpkin does add some mouthfeel and beautiful color, so it's not a bad thing!
Yeah that's my understanding for sure, to be completely honest I just felt like I could call it a pumpkin beer with out the pumpkin. It might not do much but at least my brewer skill level is increasing!

Quick Reply