Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First double brew day this Sat. Any advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default First double brew day this Sat. Any advice?

So I have been slacking on my brewing, between unexpected life issues and helping my fiancee plan our wedding, I am about to blow my last keg any pour now!

With that said to attempt to catch back up I plan on doing a double brew Saturday morning. What if anything should I be thinking of? I have my grain bills already and I have 3 full tanks of propane! I am hoping that this really won't take but 1.5hrs longer then a single batch? I know I will need to time my end of boil on the first batch with my mash, I no-chill my wort so I won't have to time that. I just want to try to make things go smooth!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 502 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves69
So I have been slacking on my brewing, between unexpected life issues and helping my fiancee plan our wedding, I am about to blow my last keg any pour now!

With that said to attempt to catch back up I plan on doing a double brew Saturday morning. What if anything should I be thinking of? I have my grain bills already and I have 3 full tanks of propane! I am hoping that this really won't take but 1.5hrs longer then a single batch? I know I will need to time my end of boil on the first batch with my mash, I no-chill my wort so I won't have to time that. I just want to try to make things go smooth!
Take your time, start early, keep the recipes and ingredients separated and invite some buddies over to help. Plan on taking more time than you think and most importantly have fun!

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Pre-measure & label everything. It's a life saver!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Don't drink too much and it would help to have a partner to make sure everything is running smoothly.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #5
matt2778
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by inhousebrew View Post
Don't drink too much and it would help to have a partner to make sure everything is running smoothly.
I couldn't agree more with the don't drink too much statement.

When I do a double brew day I premeasure and crush all my grains. I then do all my water calculations (both volumes and water salt additions) and write everything down in my brew log. I do have all this data in my beer alchemy software on my iPhone but writing it down reinforces the info. Lastly I drink coffee all through my batch and I don't crack my first beer until I start running off the second one. Doubling on brew days every so often sure is a great way to restock the pipeline. Happy brewing.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #6
Daves69
All Grain No Brain!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 30 Posts

Thanks for those suggestions! I did not think about starting early, so that I will do. Starting early will also help with not drinking to much as I will be drinking coffee lol. Cool deal, well I will post up some pics on the progress. Thanks again!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My double days are usualy starting by 10am. I plan ~ 4hrs a batch.

Takes a solid hr and half to two hrs minimum for me to get strike water up to temp, mash, sparge, and have it all in the boil kettle. Add another hr for the boil (not taking into account the time to bring the water up to boiling), and then bringing it down to RT to pitch yeast/measure OG.

For me and my process 4hrs is reasonable. Depending on the wt of my grain bill it definitely slows down my run off. 10-12lbs not to bad and everything flows good. 13-15lbs and I can be sitting there for an hour easy waiting for all my run offs.

I have had double days go from 10am until 6pm and others go from 10am until almost 1am due to just random things that happen in a day.

GL with it though, they are a great way to pick the pace back up!

Primary 1 & 2: Hazelnut Brown Ale
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Coffee Porter & Pumpkin Porter

Old 10-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Takes me around 5.5 hours for one batch, 8.0 hours for 2 batches, so I often do 2 batches. I do not drink a drop until I start cleaning the kettles. I pre-measure everything the night before, including water, and sanitize my carboys the day before (and keep them covered).

What overlaps (in my case): heating mash water while finishing the sparge, mash in while getting batch #1 to a boil, mash #2 while boiling batch #1, heating sparge water #2 while chilling batch #1.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #9
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You cansave some time by overlapping it a little, like mashing batch 2 while batch 1 boils. But it's best to have an organized plan, as it's easy to get overwhelmed/distracted and forget something you'd never forget on a regular brewday. I sometimes fall in to the trap of thinking that since I'm mostly sitting around staring at a timer or watching a pot boil, brewday is a great time to do something else beer-related. But then before I know it I've had a huge boilover, misplaced by flavoring hops, burnt the grain I was toasting in the oven and left the gate open so my dog is aimlessly roaming the neighborhood. I'm not trying to talk you out of the double brew, just saying to be organized and to allow yourself almost as much time as two single brews.

Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
captwalt
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I recently did double brew with a freind. We drank too much and I F'ed up hop aditions and at the end I realized I had not considered how I would cool two batches at once. Not a major problem and easily overcome but just something to think about

Quick Reply