Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first direct heat mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
ski36t
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first direct heat mash

I am planning on doing a Hennepin clone and I am going to use a step mash, but instead of doing it in my cooler I am going to do it in my brewpot on the stove. I have attached a SS braid and I think I am ready to go.

Any advice or tips for my first direct heat mash on a stove?

Up Next: thinking another Hefe
Primary 1: empty
Secondary 1: Fat Tire Clone
Secondary 2: Cider experiment
Kegged: #9, Circus Boy Hefe Clone,
Bottled: CBC Nut Brown Clone, SN Pale Ale Clone, , Two Beagle Dry Stout, Mill Run Stout (first AG), Belgian Tripel
Aging: Hennepin Clone, Blue Ridge Mountain Cider, Maple Syrup Mead
Come and Gone: Nut Brown Ale, Old Man Winter Ale, American Premium Lager, California Ginger Steam Beer, Bavarian Weizenbier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

I hear wrapping some sort of insulation (padded aluminum?) around the pot would help, that way your temps won't really drop much and you don't have to worry about adjusting the heat constantly to keep your temps steady.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:20 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Is this an AG on a stove? What sort of stove do you have? Id worry about BTUs and not being able to change temps very quickly?

Pol

Old 04-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #4
ski36t
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
Is this an AG on a stove? What sort of stove do you have? Id worry about BTUs and not being able to change temps very quickly?

Pol

It is a relatively new electric stove. I was thinking that I would give it a try on the stove first and if that wasn't working than taking it out onto the propane stove. I just thought the kitchen stove would work better for producing a small amount of heat to keep the temperature constant.

Bottled: CBC Nut Brown Clone, SN Pale Ale Clone, , Two Beagle Dry Stout, Mill Run Stout (first AG), Belgian Tripel
Come and Gone: Nut Brown Ale, Old Man Winter Ale, American Premium Lager, California Ginger Steam Beer, Bavarian Weizenbier

Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
ski36t
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
I hear wrapping some sort of insulation (padded aluminum?) around the pot would help, that way your temps won't really drop much and you don't have to worry about adjusting the heat constantly to keep your temps steady.
I have some insulation that is sealed in plastic, but I figured it would probably melt if I tried to wrap it around.

Old 04-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #6
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Yea, wouldn't use plastic, go to lowes and ask what they would recommend, could handle the heat and all.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
perry
Recipes 

Something to think about: pull your mash off the heat at a few degrees below your target temp at each step and keep stirring. The temp will continue to rise as the hotter mash from the bottom gets stirred in, and you don't want to overshoot your target.

Also, if your mashing an all grain batch (5 gal or bigger) just put a lid on your kettle and throw a couple of heavy blankets over it... you won't lose more than three or four degrees in an hour... If you don't mess with it.

I do direct heat mashes only; it's a great way to go. cheers -p

Old 04-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #8
mew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

If you're mashing in a 5 gallon pot you can heat it up on the stove and then throw it in a preheated oven for insulation. I did it and it worked as well as a cooler.

Keg 2: Empty

Old 04-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #9
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

When you're heating your strike water, you don't need to heat it as high as you would for a cooler. The initial heat loss will be less. The first time I mashed in my converted keg I overshot the mash in by a good bit. If you're a few degrees low, it's easy to just apply some gentle heat while stirring to get it where you want.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #10
ski36t
Recipes 

Thanks everyone for the input.

Everything went great and I had perfect temperatures at every step. I was hoping this would bump up my efficiency, but I only got 65%. I think I know what the problem is. My pH strips suck....

Quick Reply