The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First Crush

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
junior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default First Crush

Hey everyone, I did my first crush today with my new Barley Crusher set at the factory setting of .039, to me it seems to be on the fine side compare to the crushed grains I get order online, what does it look like to you veterans crushers? Here are some pictures, hope they can help. I have one more question, I was in my local beer supply store and they had 50lb bags of Crisp Ale Malt, I asked the worker if they had 2row, and he told me that the ale malt is the same thing, is that true, and if not can I substitute it for 2row?

200_4775-3.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
junior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here are some more pictures, that I uploaded, I tried to post these on the first post, but the files wouldn't upload.

200_4783-2.jpg   200_4785-2.jpg  

Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 54

The crush looks great. Crisp is the name of a malting company. I would say what they suggested would substitute for 2-row (likely it is 2-row), just a little more expensive than generic 2-row.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I would close the gap some, I have mine set at .035 which is perfect for my system.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/
Monkfish Likes This 
Old 08-24-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just keep tightening your gap a little bit at a time until the husks don't look like that anymore, then go back one step. I have a corona mill, so I have no idea what the gap is, but the idea is the same.

2-row is actually a description of the way the grain is arranged on the plant. Make it into soup, caramelize it, cook it to 600 Lovibond, it's still 2-row. Crisp is a British malting company. Their malt is just a little darker than Canadian/American malts, but should work fine anyplace you would use 2-row, maybe even a little more flavorful.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #7
Monkfish
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Looks pretty good to me. I have a BC and stuck with the factory gap for a couple of batches and then tightened things up a bit. For me .037" has given me great results and no shredded husks.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:49 AM   #8
TrubDog
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

+1 for .035 - gets my efficiency into the 80's. It's amazing what .004 will do!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
borden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
2-row is actually a description of the way the grain is arranged on the plant. Make it into soup, caramelize it, cook it to 600 Lovibond, it's still 2-row. Crisp is a British malting company. Their malt is just a little darker than Canadian/American malts, but should work fine anyplace you would use 2-row, maybe even a little more flavorful.
Yep. I think you'll be satisfied with the Crisp purchase -- I haven't used their Pale Ale Malt, but I'm generally fond of slightly darker or more robust base malts like Marris Otter, Golden Promise, or even domestic Pale Ale malt from companies like Rahr.

In short: you have a great type of 2-Row!

Old 08-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 701 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Hey everyone, I did my first crush today with my new Barley Crusher set at the factory setting of .039, to me it seems to be on the fine side compare to the crushed grains I get order online, what does it look like to you veterans crushers? Here are some pictures, hope they can help. I have one more question, I was in my local beer supply store and they had 50lb bags of Crisp Ale Malt, I asked the worker if they had 2row, and he told me that the ale malt is the same thing, is that true, and if not can I substitute it for 2row?
If you were selling crushed grain for brewing would you adjust your crusher for the finest crush that could be mashed or would you set it a little coarser so that none of your customers complain about stuck sparges from having the grain crushed to fine? Remember that you are also selling grain and if the beer turns out good but takes a little more grain because the efficiency isn't the best will the customer complain about the extra few ounces of grain they need to buy? Your crusher seems to be set OK or perhaps a little coarse. Try a batch. If you get a stuck sparge, spread the rollers a bit. If it sparges just fine, try closing the gap for the next batch.

Quick Reply