Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First BIAB - Am I On the Right Track?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default First BIAB - Am I On the Right Track?

Just a couple of questions in regards to the BIAB method. I'm going to be doing stove top with (for now) a 5 gallon kettle, mostly half batches or maybe smaller if I have to. I'll be using the DRoyLenz/Deathbrewer method (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/all-...t-pics-142648/).

I am a fan of higher gravity beers, particularly IPA's. I would like to brew a half batch (3.5 gallons) of this easy black IPA: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/simp...ck-ipa-226023/. A 3.5 gallon batch of this would take 10.5 lbs of grain (heavy I know, but that's how I like my beer!)

On to the questions! I've used brew365's water calculator to find that I need 3.5 gallons of mash water, and 2 gallons of sparge water (hopefully this sounds ok, I can report the specific numbers from the calculator if needed). So, to mash, I need 3.5 gallons of water + 10.5 lbs of grain to fit into my kettle. The rackers.org mash tool tells me that with a 1.33 mash thickness, it will fill to about 4.33 gallons. Am I right thinking that I am ok with my 5 gallon kettle, though it may be a tight fit? I have a false bottom for this kettle that sits about 3 inches from the bottom of the kettle; should I try using it?

Other than that, are my numbers on track so far?

One other off topic question, in recipes when they refer to "boil size", is this the amount of wort collected after mashing/sparging and prior to boiling?

Thanks in advance!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
VegasBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This is the best BIAB site I have found, well more a forum. It is run out of Australian where BIAB started. Sigh up for an account, make a post and once the admin approves you download their tools. The BIAB spreadsheet they have is great. It will answer all your questions on volumes.

http://www.biabrewer.info/

VB

Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
dantheman13
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Thanks, VB!

Old 03-24-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasBrew View Post
This is the best BIAB site I have found, well more a forum. It is run out of Australian where BIAB started. Sigh up for an account, make a post and once the admin approves you download their tools. The BIAB spreadsheet they have is great. It will answer all your questions on volumes.

http://www.biabrewer.info/

VB
+1..great BIAB site.. like VB said..registar..then post in the my first post section.. you'll get approved.

(I'm not one to be a grammar police.. BUT, it's run out of Australia, the people there are Australian. would be kinda like saying that HBT was a site run in American)

Quick Reply