Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First attempt at Partial Mash. Did I forget base malts?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
JaleHouseBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First attempt at Partial Mash. Did I forget base malts?

I was trying for a Bavarian Helles. I ordered the following ingredients, and I've been reading a little more into partial mashing and found out that I might need base malts to get the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars in the grains. I thought they all had enough enzymes in them to convert. What should I replace the Carapils with to get the enzymes I need? 2-Row?

Briess Dried Malt Extract- Pilsen 4 lb.
Carapils (Briess) 3 lb.
CaraHell® (Weyermann®) 1/2 lb.
Light Munich (Weyermann®) 1/2 lb.

German Perle Pellet Hops 1 oz.
German Tettnang Pellet Hops 1 oz.
White Labs German Lager Yeast WL830

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

American 2-row is cheap and good base malt for most brews from what I've seen.

I believe Carapils are for mouth feel and head not a base malt.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
JaleHouseBrew
Recipes 

The good people at Midwest Supplies just swapped my 3lbs of Carapils for 3lbs of Weyermann Pilsner Malt when I called them. It still looks like my Diastatic power might be a little low (65 on average), but with the DME making up 50% of my gravity, I think I'll be ok.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
zeekage
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not 100% sure about Carahell as I've never used it, but Carapils does not need to be mashed it can be steeped just like Crystal malts when you're doing extract + specialty grains. The starches in most if not all Cara**** malts are already converted to sugars. Munich does need to be mashed but I believe it has enough enzymes that it can convert itself (like 2-row can). So I think you would have been OK with your original recipe, and you will be OK with your new recipe though the removal of the Carapils will change the body of the beer a bit.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Quick Reply