So I finally decided to make my first attempt at an all grain. I'm just doing a simple American ale.
8 lbs pale 2 row
1 lb crystal 40l
1 oz chinook (.25 oz @ 60, .25 @ 30 and .5 @ 15)
1 oz cascade (.5 @ 60, .25 @ 45, .25 @ 15)
Cooper's ale yeast
I'm now in the lautering process and I seem to be having troubles. I think that I started sparging too quickly at first. My wort started at 1.060 and after about 2 gallons it had already dropped to 1.016. I went ahead and slowed my sparge down a lot and after about 20 minutes what was coming out was at about 1.018. The wort's only at about 1.035, though, with 2 gallons more needed. OG is supposed to be 1.053. Hopefully, it will get closer to where it needs to be after it boils off. I don't think I'm going to get anywhere near where I need to be, though.