So I've seen a few people talk about their attempts at DM. Last weekend my buddy and I attempted to give it a go. Here is the recipe we used (based on Ohiodad's:
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.02 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 9.75 %
0.63 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4.10 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.25 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3.25 %
0.25 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 1.63 %
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 29.9 IBU
0.25 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (10 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
2.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 14.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale
A couple changes we made due to lack of exact ingredients and Beermsith calculations (since our mash eff is lower than I would like):
- Upped the 2-row to 12.5 lbs due to mash eff.
- I only had access to Columbus 17%, not 14%. Because of this I added to the boil at 51 minutes since this yielded 32.1 IBUs which was closer to the target.
- I only had access to 9% Northern Brewer hops, but I decided not to make any changes due to this.
-Minor grain differences, but nothing worth mentioning.
I started the soak of the chips in jim beam during the brewing process and set those to the side.
I had my first SNAFU as I forgot the oats and they got added about 8 minutes late. Not sure if that will have an effect.
I mashed with about 26qts of water; we had an early temp issue but we hit 154F dead on pretty quick. Did a 70 min mash then drained.
Did a two stage sparge. First was at 169F and used 6 Qts (1.5 gallons) for 10 min. Second was 4 QT (1 gallons) for 10 minutes. We were going to use 1.5 for both but since we added extra water in the initial mash we cut it back.
Our total pre-boil was a bit much (~7.5 gal, was aiming for 6.4 as beersmith says) but we lengthened the boil to 75 min to try and accommodate. Took a gravity reading at 15 min to find that we were low (1.077 after temp conversion) My buddy recommended adding corn sugar (we ended of adding 2 oz) as he said this would have the least effect on taste (vs some Briess DME we had laying around). Final post-boil gravity hit 1.082 and we think we're a little high at 5.25 gallons.
Buddy did a yeast starter one day in advance (couldn't do two days as we hoped, but the starter looked good after a day so we didn't think it would have an effect.)
Its been in the primary 7 days now with bow off and still getting a decent amount of fermentation (was kicking arse around 48 hrs.) Been sitting at 68F-69F steady. Going to rack this Wednesday (10 days pri) into the secondary with the soaked chips and Jim Beam and let set for 4 weeks. Going to force carb in the keg at the end with 4 gallons and bottle 1 gallon.
Hopefully ends up well! I'll make sure to Update.