Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > first all grain today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
THEDIETZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default first all grain today

So I am going for my first all grain brew (i finally got everything else I need)....I have a wide 35 qt SS Pot. My question is will I be able to get 6.5 gal of wort boiling on an electric stove top or should I just get out the turkey fryer. I know most are just going to get out the fryer but I was wondering if anyone ever got a good boil with that much wort on a electric stove top. Winter is right around the corner and I would like to brew inside but if I must use a turkey fryer outside....i WILL SUFFER for the beer and I will freeze to continue brewing!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4483 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

I have a big kick ass gas stove, and it still takes a while to boil inside. You may not be able to get a boil on your stove, but you could always try it to see. Of course, then if you can't get a boil, you'd be hauling hot wort outside to boil it out there.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Gonefishing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How about just trying to boil that much water on your stove first? That way you won't have to carry anything that big,heavy and HOT to your turkey burner if it don't work.

Small Primary: Empty
In Secondary: SMaSh Ale (dry hopping)
In Keg: Apefelwein
Keg 2: English pale ale
Keg3:Cola Soda
Keg4; Snowy Mountain APA
In Bottles: Some Bud for my clueless friends.
Next up: Brown Puppy Ale (Old Brown Dog clone)
My Blog: http://kking.wordpress.com/

Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Unless you have an industrial strength stove, and being that this is your first AG, save yourself the hassle and get out the fryer, seriously... please!

Keg2- Oktoberfest
Keg3- Christmas Spice
Keg4- Fire In The Hole
Keg5- AIR
Keg6- AIR
Keg7- AIR
Keg8- AIR

Old 11-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well last Sunday I tried what the OP is proposing and my experience was not a happy one. I opted to get a 7.5 gallon thick-walled aluminum pot (read one big ass heat sink) and since I'm still learning brewing in general opted to brew a small 2 gallon MO/Fuggle SMaSH for my first AG. It took 90 minutes to get the 2.6 gallons of wort (carefully measured as it ran so I can get decently accurate efficiency numbers) from 140F to 210F and this was possible only by wrapping the outside of the pot with towels. I finally got a super weak boil and boiled for my 90 minutes and produced very little hot break. Then I dropped in my 50'x1/2" DIY copper chiller and knocked it down to 90F in 1 minute! That was my first clue that something was up. Turns out my extremely prolonged boil resulted in 1.5 gallons into the carboy rather than my target of 2 gallons.

On the up side my mash efficiency was 96% (2.5 gallons of 1.045 from 3# of MO) and my OG was 1.070 into the fermentor. And after only 60 hours the 11g of Nottingham already has it down to 1.020! All that to say get the $40 burner from Home Despot.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 11-08-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've cooked indoors on gas and electric, and outside on a propane frier. There is just no comparison IMO: outside frier rocks. Crank it up so you get that rewarding jet engine roar...

I do all my brewing and bottling outdoors.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Old 11-08-2008, 02:59 AM   #7
woodbridgebrew
Recipes 

you will be able to boil that much water on an electric stove but it will take a long time. I tried it once and it took me almost an hour to get water from room temp to boiling. When you consider you have to heat up the water for the mash and boil that is a lot of added time.

Quick Reply