Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/)
-   -   First all-grain success (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/first-all-grain-success-337556/)

annoyingrob 06-25-2012 05:35 AM

First all-grain success
 
3 Attachment(s)

I've been lurking on here for some time, but not really posting. I've been making extract and partial mash recipes for about 8 months now. I decided to step into all-grain brewing mainly because it's a heck of a lot easier finding grains locally than extract or partial mash kits. I wish I did this a lot sooner. It was kind of raining out for most of the brew day, but it was a heck of a lot of fun.

I bought a cheap cooler to use as a mash tun, and fitted it with a ball valve and ss braid, took my plasma cutter to an old keg for a boil kettle, and re-purposed a turkey fryer to heat it all. I made a wert chiller out of 25ft of 3/8" copper pipe and some hose. Total cost wasn't terribly expensive.

I tried out beersmith to calculate my temps and water volumes, and I'm very impresses with the software. Definitely worth a purchase.

I decided to make a fat tire clone recipe that I pieced together. All said and done I ended up with 6.5gal of 1.046. I was aiming for 5gal, I think I made some mistakes in beersmith estimating dead-space in the mash tun, or in the boil-off volume. I'm still pretty happy with the outcome though. Racked it into two 6gal carboys and pitched in a 1qt jar of washed yeast from my last batch. 4 hours later, there was already activity in the airlocks.

Brewhouse efficiency was around 72%.

I've got another two batches of grains milled up for another few beers, and there's a long weekend coming up. I'm looking forward to making some more beer!


annoyingrob 06-25-2012 05:35 AM

First all-grain success
 
3 Attachment(s)

I've been lurking on here for some time, but not really posting. I've been making extract and partial mash recipes for about 8 months now. I decided to step into all-grain brewing mainly because it's a heck of a lot easier finding grains locally than extract or partial mash kits. I wish I did this a lot sooner. It was kind of raining out for most of the brew day, but it was a heck of a lot of fun.

I bought a cheap cooler to use as a mash tun, and fitted it with a ball valve and ss braid, took my plasma cutter to an old keg for a boil kettle, and re-purposed a turkey fryer to heat it all. I made a wert chiller out of 25ft of 3/8" copper pipe and some hose. Total cost wasn't terribly expensive.

I tried out beersmith to calculate my temps and water volumes, and I'm very impresses with the software. Definitely worth a purchase.

I decided to make a fat tire clone recipe that I pieced together. All said and done I ended up with 6.5gal of 1.046. I was aiming for 5gal, I think I made some mistakes in beersmith estimating dead-space in the mash tun, or in the boil-off volume. I'm still pretty happy with the outcome though. Racked it into two 6gal carboys and pitched in a 1qt jar of washed yeast from my last batch. 4 hours later, there was already activity in the airlocks.

Brewhouse efficiency was around 72%.

I've got another two batches of grains milled up for another few beers, and there's a long weekend coming up. I'm looking forward to making some more beer!


annoyingrob 06-25-2012 05:35 AM

First all-grain success
 
3 Attachment(s)

I've been lurking on here for some time, but not really posting. I've been making extract and partial mash recipes for about 8 months now. I decided to step into all-grain brewing mainly because it's a heck of a lot easier finding grains locally than extract or partial mash kits. I wish I did this a lot sooner. It was kind of raining out for most of the brew day, but it was a heck of a lot of fun.

I bought a cheap cooler to use as a mash tun, and fitted it with a ball valve and ss braid, took my plasma cutter to an old keg for a boil kettle, and re-purposed a turkey fryer to heat it all. I made a wert chiller out of 25ft of 3/8" copper pipe and some hose. Total cost wasn't terribly expensive.

I tried out beersmith to calculate my temps and water volumes, and I'm very impresses with the software. Definitely worth a purchase.

I decided to make a fat tire clone recipe that I pieced together. All said and done I ended up with 6.5gal of 1.046. I was aiming for 5gal, I think I made some mistakes in beersmith estimating dead-space in the mash tun, or in the boil-off volume. I'm still pretty happy with the outcome though. Racked it into two 6gal carboys and pitched in a 1qt jar of washed yeast from my last batch. 4 hours later, there was already activity in the airlocks.

Brewhouse efficiency was around 72%.

I've got another two batches of grains milled up for another few beers, and there's a long weekend coming up. I'm looking forward to making some more beer!



All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.