Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All grain started bad but I think I saved it.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #11
el_kirk
knucklehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If it's really cold and your propane tanks are a) not that full or b) really cold, they can sometimes not have enough pressure for your burner. Remember that decreasing the pressure decreases the temperature of the tank. PV=nRT (high school chemistry class is coming back to haunt you.) On really cold days I bring the tanks inside the night before, then put them in a water bath (50-60 F) partway through the boil.

Also, just having my tanks full seems to help. Give that a try before you buy a new regulator.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
rooster60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I think I'll wait till the weather warms up before trying it again. I did learn that my electric stove top can handle 6.5 gal. Thanks for your advice. I love this place.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 778 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kirk View Post
On really cold days I bring the tanks inside the night before, then put them in a water bath (50-60 F) partway through the boil.
Don't do that again. If you have even the slightest leak you have created a very dangerous situation. Propane is heavier than air so it pools near the floor. Propane also has a much wider range of mixture with air that is flammable than gasoline so if you have any propane that leaked and something creates a spark or you have an open flame, when the propane gets to the mixture that makes it possible, BOOM! There goes you garage or your house and all your family.

It's fine to put the tanks in the water bath to warm them but do it outside. Never bring your tank indoors.

Quick Reply