New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All grain started bad but I think I saved it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #1
rooster60
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First All grain started bad but I think I saved it.

First all grain started bad but I think I saved it. When I mashed in, the manifold in the bottom of my mash tun fell apart. I freaked out but I got everything in my kettle and cleaned my mash tun and put it back together. At this point my mash temp was about 20 degrees off. I had to add an extra gallon of boiling water to get it to temp. After that everything went well. I got 6.5 gal pre-boil and OG of 1.050. I think i'm on track, but it's a bit cold outside I hope It boils. Thanks to everyone here for guiding me. I'm very excited to see how this comes out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
el_kirk
knucklehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Glad it worked out. Keep going, it gets easier.

Kirk

Old 01-31-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
RobBug
Recipes 

That's the great thing about home brewing. You never know what is gonna get thrown at ya! How you react really defines your brew. Glad you got it together.

Tell us how it came out.

Bubblehead Brewing - Bangor, WA submariners' Brew Blogs
---
"The hardest part of all-grain brewing is arguing about it on the interwebs ;-)" - tjpfeister

Old 01-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
skyebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Dont worry. My first had 2 stuck sparges and i was off by 10 on my sg. Just like you said, its all fun and just wait till you look back as a home brew pro and laugh about how your first went

Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 AM   #5
rooster60
Recipes 

New lesson learned. Don't try to make beer when it's 26 degrees out side. It's been on the burner for two and a half hours and still no boil. It's going to be a long night.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
rooster60
Recipes 

It was a long night. It took so long to get a boil going. Everything went well but I think I could have boiled a bit longer. I was left with just over 5 gal and I missed my target gravity. I was shooting for 1.074 and I got 1.064. Next time I just boil a bit longer till I get my target volume. All in all I feel good about my first all grain. BTY I was making a Snow cap Clone. thank you to everyone.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
GIusedtoBe
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster60 View Post
It was a long night. It took so long to get a boil going. Everything went well but I think I could have boiled a bit longer. I was left with just over 5 gal and I missed my target gravity. I was shooting for 1.074 and I got 1.064. Next time I just boil a bit longer till I get my target volume. All in all I feel good about my first all grain. BTY I was making a Snow cap Clone. thank you to everyone.
On my first one I tried to use a recipe that called for a step mash. Big mistake. Multiple water additions to change the mash temp. In the end I had a mash time of about 90 minutes at around 147 F. The resulting Pale Ale fermented down to 1.004 and was way too high in ABV and very thin with no mouthfeel. You learn with each batch but I will not try any crazy step mashing or decoction mashing again.

Alan

Old 01-31-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

what kind of burner are you using? I have a turkey fryer setup with aluminum pan and I got 7.5 gallons boiling in less than 30 mins in my garage. It was 0 degrees outside that day. very cold

Old 01-31-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
el_kirk
knucklehead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I also brew in my garage when it's well below freezing...what kind of burner are you using? It shouldn't take that long to get things boiling.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
rooster60
Recipes 

I'm using a Bayou Classic I got for Chrismas. It was my first time using it. I thought the flame looked a little low. May be I should try to get a new regulator.

Quick Reply