Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
scottyg354
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default First All Grain Question

Going to get my Mash Tun this weekend and want to do my first AG Brew on Saturday. My questions is what would be an easy first all grain style? Some people say hefes and dunkels others say blondes others say cream ales. Any opinions?

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

On Deck: Helles, Oktoberfest, Saison, Apple Graff

Primary: IPA, Scottish Export

Secondary: Saison Brett

Bottled/Kegged/Gone:
Cream Ale, Peanut Butter Brown, Belgian Golden Strong, Brown Sugar Cider, Cream Ale, Double IPA, Saison, Summer Ale, Honey IPA, Maple Apple Graff, Holiday Stout, Hard Cider, English Brown, Scottish Heavy

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My first was lemon-lime hefeweizen. Not because I thought it would be an easy brew, but because it was what I wanted to drink. I say pick what you think you'd enjoy and make it. Unless you have a fridge/freezer, lagering is out of the question. But, there are lots of great recipes on HBT. All I do is peruse the categories I'm interested in and pick a beer I want to make (and bookmark a few for later, too).

Old 07-31-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Gregwarro
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Are you batch sparging or fly? Not that it makes much of a difference. Other than temps my mash technique doesn't change at all for different beers unless I am doing one with a lot of wheat... then I add rice hulls. So I say pick your favorite style and brew on!

Fermenting: Russian Imperial Oat Stout "Cosmonaut"
Bottled: Apfelwien, Holidaay Porter
Kegged: IPA, Holiday Porter
Coming Soon: Apfelwien, Holiday Porter

Old 07-31-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
mikescooling
Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 211

IMHO, if you start with somthing you know like an APA, then you can look at the AG brewday and see what to do better next time. Is my beer dry or bitter or hoppy or sweet, and what did I do to cause this? Keep tweeking and go from good to great!! It's a good feeling getting a new MLT, kinda makes you feel like you just moved up a notch.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

For starter beers, either extract or all-grain, I like to recommend hoppy beers. If you mess something up by chance the hops can often times hide it. I'm not suggesting a 9.5% IIPA but rather a Pale Ale or maybe a simple IPA. Or just get a style that you like and go with it. Cheers!

Quick Reply