Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain ... Mash Temp Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #1
bkervaski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default First All Grain ... Mash Temp Question

Hey guys, great forum, lots of useful info.

I did my first all grain this weekend and it went well except that I couldn't hit my target mash temp which was supposed to be 154 and I hovered around 152 .. so I just let it go 10 minutes longer than the 60 minutes the recipe indicated .. bad idea?

I did adjust my strike temp but I let my grain set outside with me and it probably was 55 degrees .. so I didn't take that into consideration .. I did try to raise it with some hot water but didn't want to get crazy since it was my first.

Also, I learned that it's easy to go through your previous batch while making a new batch, oops

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 471 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 210

At 152 you will not be that far off but the yeast may provide greater attenuation and you may have a bit less body to the beer.

Next time pre-heat the tun with strike water to let it warm up and keep your grain inside until ready to use. Also be sure your thermometer is properly calibrated

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
binaryc0de
Torrence Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It should be fine (DWHAHB)... Sometimes I go 90 mins (usually on light lagers) just to be sure I have full conversion. This is were brewing software comes in handy (hitting target temp with strike temp). I typically pre-heat my mash-tun (converted cooler) with 180 degree water before filling it with my strike water. This helps a little. Also the temp of the grains come into play. All these factors can be dialed into brewing software.

Quick Reply