Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First All Grain, help me figure it out

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 AM   #1
wyo220
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First All Grain, help me figure it out

So here is what I did:

I preheated my 5 gal cooler with 175 degree water while I heated my mash liquor.

I mashed
7 pounds Bo pils
2 pounds flaked corn

I used 1.5 quarts per pound, rounded to 3 1/2 gal
I used 164 degee strike water
mash stabalized at 153, which was 1 degree higher than the 152 the recipe called for.

After 45 min the temp was 151 degrees.

I mashed for 90 min.

First runnings gravity was 1.080, 2 gal volume.

I sparged with 5 gal of 175 degree water split into 2 equal parts, both allowed to sit for 10 min.

Preboil volume 7 gal, gravity was 1.041

90 minute boil

1 pound rice solids added at 60 min

I lost about 1.6 gal an hour evap, 4.5 gal to the fermenter.

Og to the fermenter was 1.060, I added 1 gal top up water, so final og was 1.040.

Here are my questions, what was my efficency, is my evap rate about right, am I over sparging and what did I do wrong?

Thanks to all of you, reading this site is what made this possible.
Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2009, 06:09 AM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo220 View Post
Here are my questions, what was my efficency, is my evap rate about right, am I over sparging
A real rough effeciency is 65%. If you want a more accurate efficiency, you'll have to input your numbers into a brewing software program or get an excel worksheet.

Your evap rate is your evap rate based on your system. As far as I know, you can only change it by changing your equipment.

In order to figure out if you oversparged, you would have to take the gravity of your final runnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo220 View Post
what did I do wrong?
What's the problem? Are you unhappy with your gravity? your post boil volume? Your efficiency? Where do you want help?

Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #3
ghack
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

One degree off in the mash temp is nothing to worry about.

Boil off can vary a lot even with the same equipment depending on the atmospheric and other conditions. I have not qualms about topping off post boil to hit the desired volume/gravity, so don't sweat it. Now that you have an idea of what you are generally loosing, you can plan better next time.

And just by the sparge rule of thumb of 1/2 gallon/lb of grain, you might have been a bit high. The second batch of 175 might have been too hot with the grain bed already heated by the first batch.

Quick Reply