Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > First all grain heffeweissbier

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
ScrewedBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default First all grain heffeweissbier

I really like good German weissbier, so I started brewing my own. I've done a few partial grain batches with wheat malt extract and mashing pilsner with munich malt grain. These batches have turned out excellent, but have a slight bitter twang.

So this batch, I tried all grain:
3.5 gallon
5 lb American white wheat
1.75 Munich 10l
.25 Caramunich 60l

I used the same mash technique that I've been using in the past. This time, I was getting lots of stringy gunk during the boil. After chilling, my wort looked like jelly fish were swimming in it. I don't know what this stuff was, and just assumed it is from the wheat? I siphoned the wort to the fermenter through a strainer and tried to avoid the "jellyfish" trub. Before pitching the yeast, a lot more trub settled. Well, now it looks like this:
I've never had this much "junk" in an all grain batch. I've also never used wheat before. Some recipes I've seen with wheat also use rice hulls. Is that to keep this from happening? I know that unfiltered heffe's are cloudy and flaky, but this is really bad.

Do I have a problem here, or is all normal?

sdc11735.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:19 AM   #2
divrguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds normal for your grain bill. Wheat is gooky! Is that a word?

Dive Often! Play Hard and Have a homeBrew!

Old 02-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 130

It's probably additional hot/cold break due to the added protein from the wheat. Looks good to me!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #4
ScrewedBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks! It looks a lot better today. The big chunks are gone. Small flakes are left, like what you would expect in an unfiltered heffe. Can't wait!

Quick Reply